*Fifty One*

I sat in Tre's lap with my legs stretched across Carey's. I considered changing our position, just moving beside them, but no. Being in Tre's arms, leaning against his hard chest with Carey's thumb working slow circles on my leg, let me relax.

Well, at first it did. But for the last few minutes, their small touches and quick, comforting kisses were sending tingles through me that had nothing to do with relaxation. That, combined with the overwhelming appreciation I'd felt for them all night, filled me with the need to show them my gratitude.

Then Mama stepped into the living room with her gaze on the floor and her arms crossed tightly in front of her. She looked like she was trying to hide, and my clothes were so baggy on her, she might've done it if it wasn't for the nervousness coming off of her in waves. If my eyes were closed, I'd have still felt her standing across the room.

She looked at us, and her brow furrowed with questions, but she said nothing.

Carey was the first to speak. "Hey, Dara." He patted the empty seat on the couch. "Why don't you come sit with Gem? Tre and I were just about to get ready for bed."

She inched closer, but kept her distance as the guys stood and Tre set me on my feet. Carey faced Mama. "You can have my room." He pointed to the door.

Mama glanced at the couch and shook her head. "No, you don't have to do that. I can sleep out here."

"It's no problem." Carey turned away from her to lift my chin and peck my lips as Tre kissed my temple.

Warmth and happiness rushed through me as I watched them stroll to the bedroom and close the door. Carey had behaved as though we were alone. He didn't hide anything or treat us differently. Sure, we were at home, not in public, but he'd done it in front of Mama and that was one person more than ever before.

I sat on the edge of the couch and watched Mama tear her eyes away from the closed bedroom door with a deep breath. She didn't comment, but she looked like she was building up to something. I didn't care. If she had a problem with the way I was living, it wouldn't change a thing.

Finally, she lowered to the couch beside me. Her bottom lip shook as I assessed her injuries. "I'm going to grab some ointment for your mouth. Is there anything else you need?"

She shook her head, and I sighed. "Mama, you were limping. What's wrong with your leg?"

Her shoulders bent lower as she frowned. She lifted her pant leg to her thigh. Angry bruises covered her, but the worst part was her knee. It was twice the size it should've been and more purple than skin colored. "You should see a doctor."

"No need. It's gettin' better."

I gritted my teeth. "You need to at least get off it. Let's get you in bed, then I'll get something to wrap it."

"It's alright." Her timid voice broke my heart and made me want to scream.

"It's not." I stood, and led her to Carey's room, waiting as she climbed onto the clean sheets of the queen sized bed.

Once she was still, I went to the hall bathroom to get the ointment, pain meds that would also help with the swelling, and an elastic bandage. Stopping by the kitchen, I got a bottle of water from the fridge and went back to Carey's room.

Mama's eyes were red from crying. I passed her the medicine and the water. "Take this."

She took the pills without question, then I gave her the salve for her mouth. While she was taking care of that, I lifted her pant leg. "Maybe we should just raise it up for the night and wrap it in the morning. What do you think?"