A lesson in Legions

As I descended the stairs with Adam you could tell that the mood was less than friendly. There were more people present than last night, many of which looked unhappy with my presence, not that I really blamed them (for all I know I could be some mass murderer). 

And the talking that could be heard from the top of the stairs quickly vanished as soon as I reached ground level. The Alpha and she-wolf were nowhere to be seen but apparently quite a crowd had gathered in their common room (living room). 

The other boy that was in the room with me last night came up to speak with Adam once we were closer to the group. "I'll take over watching her now; I think dad needs to talk to you or something." Now that I could look at him properly I could see that he was fairly attractive as well, strong build and bright eyes. "What did he want?" I heard Adam question from the left of me. “I dunno. I didn't ask." Wow, brother of the year award, but Adam just shrugged and walked off in a different direction.

“Sorry princess Adam has to go do some real work for a while, so you get to play with me. Names Blake." I could hear the undertone of the arrogance and the highlight of his teasing clearly. "I'm not your princess, and I'd really rather not go anywhere near you, thanks." Blake looked indifferent at my response, simply shrugging his shoulders and subtly guiding me in a different direction with his movements.

As I was opening my mouth, unsure whether it was to ask where we were going or to demand to see the alpha, Blake commented on the crowd, “They heard that Luc was coming home." He stared at me like this was supposed to reveal some sort of an epiphany. So when I continued to stare blankly back at him he frowned (at what I wasn't quite sure). 

"Werewolves are a rare and proud breed, stubborn I suppose you could say. We were one of the first to come out of hiding and interact with the human race. It isn’t a common occurrence, more often than not we keep to ourselves and still tend to form packs like the rest of our fairy tale friends because we really are a peaceful and pack oriented group." Blake was looking me straight in the eyes, and his tone had taken on a deep rumble as he spoke. "Our population as werewolves is also very territorial," at this he stopped to smirk at me almost to say 'but you already found that out', “So we have several training facilities scattered around the world, and there are humans and government agencies that are aware of us and help us. This is because when we were outed to the human population most people were fine with it, by that time others had already come out as well, but there are still quite a few radical groups that protest our existence. " 

When he paused I took the moment to jump in quickly, "What does this have to do with me? Or with this Luc guy even?" As I asked my question I looked around and noticed that I had been so absorbed in his tale that I hadn't noticed him escorting us to a separate sitting room that was vacant.  

"As much as we like to be as peaceful as possible it does not always work," he said this as he gestured for the two of us to sit. "We have legions, our own army's, usually built of allied packs forces that are scattered around the world as well. Which are purposed to protect any and all packs and individuals that need the assistance from the radicals. Luc is a commander at one of them, high up enough to recognize or have someone recognize you." When he finished speaking I sat still, processing the information that he had given me. 

"Why-why do you think he will know me?" I found that I had trouble asking the question, I wanted so badly to hope and yet I didn't want to be crushed at the end of this either. 

"The marks on your back are battle wounds, and Doc Jerome concluded from some old scar tissue that it is more than probable you were a soldier, at least at one point in time. My father hopes if we can find out when then we can find out who you are and what happened to you. We can't have wolves running around as rogues, it threatens all pack dynamic." When he had finished speaking I, again, had to think on this information. So the alpha wasn't really helping me but was after the person who hurt me? Did that matter? I was still getting help, and that means more likely to find out who I really am. 

“I thought you said that it was human radicals that the legions were fighting?”

“Normally, yes. But as time progressed and we started establishing alliances not only with packs but with the other fable creatures the radicals were unable to pin us against each other. When this happened they turned to the rogues of each species, they hired out assassins to help fight their war. In the case of rouge wolves they poison them with just enough silver that they can’t turn human again then dip their claws in silver. It’s why you weren’t healing.”

  "Alright, I agree that I should probably meet Luc." He smiled widely at me and just nodded, "Good. We should go talk to my father." So as he stood and walked out of the room I slowly followed him. Wondering if my decision had been the right one. Somewhere my wolf whispered if all else fails we can make a run for it and bail. And to me, that plan sounded safe. War or not.