- ☝🏾👐🏾 -

"Harry, that casserole was delicious." Patricia said.

"Thank you so much. I appreciate that."

"Oh, you're welcome. You see why I will never stop asking you to make it for Thanksgiving dinner."

"That's okay. I don't mind. It's nice to be appreciated and have someone express it to me."

Harry looked over at Zayn but Zayn quickly looked away and down at his food which he hadn't eaten much of."

"I like it too, daddy. Harrison said, wanting to get in on it too.

"Do you like it, pop?"

"I do. It's delicious. You did a good job, Harry."

But when Harry saw that Zayn couldn't even look at him when he said it, he chuckled to himself and slightly shook his head. Things had been awkward like this the last two days ever since he had that outburst at Harry in their kitchen. No one else really knew, especially the children. And it was hard keeping it that way. And yes, they did resolve to talk after Thanksgiving dinner and that night was tonight. But they still had a couple more hours to go.

"Mom, I'm happy to take care of the dishes for you." Zayn said.

She looked shocked.

"Zayn Javadd Malik. Since when? You never volunteer."

"Since now. Just think of it as my way of saying thank you for being the best mother a man could ever have."

"Hmm. Okay. But you've barely eaten. You should finish first."

"I am finished."

She looked even more shocked than before.

"No you're not."

"I am. I wasn't very hungry tonight."

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Just didn't have much of an appetite. But I'll take food home for when I do have an appetite if that makes you feel better."

"It does."

"Okay then."

He got up and began to collect the plates, leaving the children's plates alone since they were taking their time eating. Then he came back to get Harry and Yaser's plate. But when he reached for harry's, Harry put his hand out.

"No, it's okay. I've got it. I'm going to help you do the dishes."

"You are?"

"I help you do them at home, don't I?"

"Yeah."

"Okay then."

"Let the man help you, sweetie. More people make the load light."

"Alright."

They both went into the kitchen together.

"Dinner was nice." Harry said.

"Yeah."

"I always enjoy celebrating the holidays with your family."

"Yeah but do you enjoy celebrating the holidays with me?"

"Zayn."

"I'm just saying you were obviously using that casserole as a way to throw hints about being appreciated and personally I wouldn't enjoy eating with someone who didn't appreciate me."

"Are you serious right now?"

"I didn't hesitate. I mean you made it pretty clear tonight you were irritated with me."