shadows

CONTENT WARNING 

- SUICIDAL IDEALATION 

- MENTION OF GUNS

Violets POV ;

My neck ached as I twisted uncomfortably, desperately pulling at my thin shirt hoping to feel any sort of warm, any sort of comfort but my attempts were futile. The sharp cold wind made the hair on my bare skin stand up, unable to stop the chattering of my teeth even as I wrapped my arms around myself. I sighed softly as I opened my heavy eyes. The sky was still dark even as the morning sun began to break through, the harmonious mix of purple and orange lit up the horizon spreading more by every second.

"There are worse places to be '' I musedto myself as I moved over to the edge of the roof.

I watched from above as my legs dangled on the edge, the once bustling streets were now quiet. I'm in the city I always dreamed of going to except it doesn't feel like that same dream. Perhaps it was because the city was only half of my dream; Malik being here with me was the other half.

What a nightmare? To flee from him to the very city I wished to go with him to.

I pushed myself closer to the edge as my legs dangled. The streets below looked so far away, the city was in silence as my mind was in chaos. I squeezed my eyes shut listening to the wind whistle behind my ears. If i just pushed a little further, if i could just let go it would all be over. Maybe then my mind would be quiet, I wondered as distant familiar memories flooded my mind.

I was 14 and Malik had just disappeared, I was alone; completely alone for the first time in four years. I had tried the month before to run away except I got caught, I got caught and I wished I had never ran. Jay 'visited' me as i was locked in the basement, the condemned walls concealed my screams for weeks. My body is now filled with new scars and bruises, they will eventually heal but the mental ones, no they will never leave me.

I placed one foot in front of the other as I lifted my arms up, i didn't want to die because I slipped , I wanted to die because I jumped. My whole life I had no control but how I die at least I'll have control of that. The overpass was high enough that it would be an instant death, a painless death and that comforted me as I looked down.

The voice of a woman, a soft angelic familiar voice filled my ears.

"It's not your time Violet" it whispered

I reopened my eyes as I was pulled back into reality. I stared down from above as the streets began to fill with people, it's not my time at least not now... not yet.

My stomach grumbled as I began to make my way back to the cafe, the smell of freshly made pastries filled my nose as I walked down the busy streets. I didn't have a watch or really any sense to tell the time other than guessing based on the sun but as I passed the shops I noticed a clock inside one of the shops, 6;45 more than enough time to get to the cafe. I brushed the hair behind my ear and dusted off my clothes as I approached the cafe.

"Oh hi It's Anna right?" the blonde girl from yesterday said as I opened the glass door of the cafe.

"Uh yeah it is" I said as I forced a weak smile across my cold lips.

"I'm Marie. Axel said there would be a new hire and I was so surprised ; we never hire anybody new so you must have impressed him anyways , I'll be training you. Although everything is pretty straight forward but you'll need this" Marie said as she passed me a brown coloured apron.

"Thank you" I said as I began tying the apron around my waist.

"And then i said no mum i don't want to go to university, i want to travel take a gap year and well i mean that's how i ended up here although i think i'll go to Australia soon- you know warmer weather and all" Marie continued as we wiped down tables and i politely nodded and smiled. The day was almost over and despite me not learning a lot about this cafe, I learnt alot about Marie. She talked a lot and honestly I didn't mind, I found solace in listening.

"You don't talk much do you?" she asked as she placed the 'closed' sign on the glass door.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm just shy," I said as I smiled softly.

"You know how I ended up here, well how did you?" Marie asked as she wiped down the countertops near the cash register.

Axel strides out from the door to the left which I didn't even notice was there, he is dressed in an all black suit, his dress shoes clacking on the tiled floor with every step. His entire demeanour screams power, authority. All besides the smirk which laid across his lips. He nods at Marie as his eyes fall onto me.

"Hey Anna, can you come into my office for just a second." Axel asks as he motions for me. I look over to Marie who smiles as I hesitantly follow Axel. Walking down the long empty hallway to his office. As I step foot into his office I can't help but admire it. Filled entirely with books, and a large wooden desk in front of a floor to ceiling window, it looked like it belonged in a million dollar mansion not a cafe office. I furrow my eyebrows as my eyes dance around the room.

"It's a bit much huh? My father had a flair for the dramatics'' Axel said as he began pouring himself a drink. He motioned for me to sit at the chair across from his desk.

"No, it's beautiful," I said as I sat down, my eyes still dancing around the room.

"Where did you say you were from?" he asked as he took a sip of his drink, the smell of alcohol suddenly becoming present as it stung my nose.

"London, i'm from London" I replied as I twisted the ring around on my finger, Axel nodded softly as the smile faded from his lips.

My eyes couldn't help but gravitate to the papers which were skewed across his desk, I couldn't make out anything but I could tell alot of it wasn't even in English, it looked like Russian.

"Anyway, here is your pay for today. Same time tomorrow okay?" Axel said as he handed me a white envelope his eyes intensely gazed at me, as if analysing my every move.

"Thank you" I replied as I softly smiled. My stomach growling at the realisation I can now afford to buy something to eat.

I quickly scurried out of the cafe after thanking Marie, eager to buy myself a jacket and something to eat. I opened the envelope 100€, well I can work with that. I entered the first clothing store I saw and bought myself a black puffer jacket which hung loosely on my body but it was the smallest they had. I had 30€ left , not enough for a hotel for a night but enough to get something to eat. I bought myself a protein bar and a bottle of water and with no other options I began heading back to the rooftop I spent last night.

I laid against the cold concrete of the rooftop looking up to the night sky, again it appears empty, not a single star in the sky. Just the limitless black abyss staring back at me. I run my hand over the pocket of my pants feeling the comforting outline of my knife as my eyes grow heavy.

"Hello?" I hear a masculine voice call out as a flashlight shines onto me, causing me to jump to my feet.

"What the fuck?" I mutter as I shield my eyes from the light.

"Axel?" I question as I squint my eyes now, able to see him staring at me with a flashlight and a gun in his hand, aimed right at me. 

------- Author note-----

hi lovelies, i hope you all are well. 

i hope you guys have been enjoying the book, i know its taken a big twist recently so i hope you all are still following along with everything. and don't worry i promise everything is going to make sense... eventually. 

i love to hear from you guys truly makes my day so leave any comments or questions. I'd love to hear. 

i hope you all have an amazing day/night wherever in the world you are xxx

- EJ