Chapter Three

Chapter III.

The sun is right up in the middle of the sky, the sunlight making my cheeks heat. I put onmy hat, as an attempt to shield my eyes from all the brightness. I heard someone laugh. I looked over to my side, and there, sitting on a mat over white sand, was Vera. She was pointing at something. Mom. She was laughing too, and she was running over to the sea. She gestured for me to follow and I nudged my sister.

She shook her head. "I'll follow you guys later," she said.

With that, I stood up and started running towards the water too. The water was really cold, but I didn't care. I followed my mom farther, but then I saw a male figure, and I noticed that he wasn't that far. I squinted to see him properly, I walked towards him.

"Dimitri!" I shouted. I tried to go near him, swimming faster, fighting against the waves. When I was finally able to reach him, he was gone. I looked back, but no sight of land could be seen. I could no longer feel the ground beneath me. I was trying to stay afloat.

I was shaking, and it was getting harder to breathe every second. The water was rising, and my legs were starting to hurt. The waves were now washing over me, and I was struggling to keep myself away from sinking into the water. Soon, I was completely submerged in it. I closed my eyes.

I was drowning.

I keep on trying to swim upwards, but it was no use. It was like hands were pulling me downwards and i wasn't in control of my legs anymore. I was losing control of my whole body. I couldn't move and my lungs were starting to feel like they were set on fire. I opened my eyes. It was just pitch black. I still couldn't breathe and I was struggling to move. I tried to look around, to grab something, anything that could help me go back up. But as I clasped on something, it was too sharp that it pricked me.

And then, a scream.

I bolt awake. I gasped for air and coughed. It was just a dream. I blinked so my eyes adjust to the lighting. There was no window in sight, and I was inside a cell, with a small light bulb above barely illuminating the room. I was sitting on a stiff cot, and it elevated me a bit from the ground. Across me was another one, and beside it was a bucket.

Another scream rang through the walls, the same one from my dream. I shuddered, feeling the pain and agony that was clearly heard through it. The poor guy was being tortured. For what, I didn't know. I stood up, and went towards the door. I tried to open it, but it was locked. I tried to shake the doorknob, but pain shot through my arms. It was only then I realized how much my whole body ached, like I was flinged to a wall and then picked up, just to be thrown again.

I looked behind me. I saw a mirror, and my gray eyes were staring back at me. I was wearing the shirt and pants I was wearing before, except it was dirtier, and there were a few parts that were torn. I looked down to see the converse still on my feet. I looked back at the mirror and saw that my black hair was a mess. I tied it up into a ponytail.

The door was opened, and someone was pushed in. I tried to rush towards it as an attempt to escape, but it was closed as fast as it was opened. There was no use.

I turned around. The one who was pushed in was kneeling, and as I took a step closer, I realized, it was wingless.

His eyes were shut in pain, and he's breathing heavily. I took in his appearance. He was shirtless and he was wearing pants, just like all the other angels. His hair was golden brown, dishevelled. His arms were bruised and bloody, and he had a cut on his cheek. His jaw was tensed and he seemed to be biting his lip.

He was just kneeling and staying still, like he was trying to meditate. I couldn't bear how dirty and bloody he looked like, and I know that if his wounds weren't taken care of, it would be infected.