VOL. 1, Ch. 3 - Responses & Revelations

---------------------

The White House, Washington D.C.
May 18th, 2035
01:41 PM, Eastern Standard Time

---------------------

United States President Thomas Hannovan sank into his chair in the Oval Office. Famished from not having eaten since breakfast to attend several press conferences, he retired to the Oval Office to clear his mind before deciding on something to eat. Now in the third year of his presidency, he had to realise several new economic and regulatory changes, including institutional reforms. For the last decade the internal political climate of the United States had been tense, as the prospect of a new Cold War with China loomed just overhead. However, he received news just minutes earlier that massive superstorms had touched down on New York and Tokyo.

A knock is heard on the door to the Oval Office.

"Come in."

A sharply-dressed, middle-aged man walks into the Oval Office. Before President Hannover was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Benjamin Notting, holding in his hands a stack of printed papers and a phone.

"Mr. President, there is urgent, distressing news from New York state and Tokyo."

Piquing his interest, the president asked, "What is it?".

"I assure you sir, what I am going to say will sound like absolute nonsense, but these are reports from our military personnel from New York and Yokosuka Naval Base. After the dissipation of these superstorms, we received a total flood of reports of strange 'gate-like structures' appearing in both locations."

President Hannovan stared blankly at Notting.

"...what?"

"One structure has appeared in Kings Point, New York, just east of Manhattan sir. The other one reported by our men in Yokosuka exists in the waters of Tokyo Bay. Local police forces in King's Point are enforcing a wide perimeter around the structures as we speak, but they are also tied up in disaster relief for the devastating storm."

"Ben, tell me more about these 'structures'."

Notting obliged, and set down the papers in his hand. On the papers were photos and screen caps taken from social media, showing a massive white structure towering over a treeline. The structure appeared to house something that could only be described as a portal, like something he would have seen in his grandson's video games.

"Sir, there is more."

Notting grabbed his phone, and showed videos from social media depicting the structures in New York and Tokyo Bay.

"Tokyo has picked up on the existence of the structure, Prime Minister Yoshikawa is meeting with his cabinet to discuss their next steps. Our forces in Yokosuka have been requested to standby in case of any unexpected events."

"Is the structure in Tokyo Bay secured?"

"Tokyo has assured the JMSDF are scrambling ships to the vicinity of the structure as fast as they can. They have rerouted assets from the ground self-defense forces currently participating in disaster relief to help enforce the coastline. Jets have been scrambled to lock down Tokyo airspace."

"Alright... and I assume our boots are on the way to King's Point?"

"Yes sir, boots are on the way."

Suddenly, the president's landline phone rang. President Hannovan stared at the landline with hesitation for a split second, and picked up the call.