The Soul Eater

Prompt from @WattpadDarkFantasy for Fantasmical 2023: You are invited to join a mysterious group of people who can travel to the Underworld on a whim.

Story word count = 995

I had not expected Father's visit, nor his disapproving narrowed green eyes. "Daughter, a journey to the Underworld is not done on a whim, and we shall not allow you to go alone."

"We?" A flush of guilt rose — I had not told Father of my plans, nor about Mother's pendant, nor the Yew Stone. Dante peeked around and waved. So, that's how Father knows. I shot him a narrow-eyed glare.

As we sat down in my small living room, I stammered an explanation. "I... I didn't want to risk anyone else." Even as a grown woman, my father's disapproval stung.

But his expression softened. "And we do not wish to risk you. There is more at stake than you know."

"You have loyal friends, Stori," Dante added. "We've assembled a team."

"A team?"

*****

Dante teleported us to Caesarea Philippi, Israel, arriving late night to avoid the tourists. Famous for the so-called Gates of Hell, the ancient pagan worshipers didn't realize how right they were. Father invoked a floating werelight, illuminating the gaping mouth of a cave surrounded by carved altars to the old gods.

At the cave back where the ceiling sloped low, those awaiting us brought warmth to my heart. Here was Galen with his daughter, Enya; the pixie Gwenlynn reclining on the nose of her dragon friend, Jryther; and the Inuit Shaman Tarniq.   

"My friends," I said, "you need not be here." Part of me felt unworthy of their help.

Gwenlynn buzzed in front of my face, putting hands on tiny hips. "But we are. You helped us, and now we help you. Friends do that."

"Have you the key, lass?" Galen asked, pointing to a round indentation in the cave wall.

"Yes." The carved ruin glowed as I pressed the gray Yew Stone into the indentation, which opened a smoky ring portal.

Jryther huffed, as obviously the huge dragon would not fit through. "Stay here on guard," Gwenlynn instructed.

As we stepped through, I whispered to Dante, "You arranged this without telling me?"

With that heart-softening dimpled smile, he responded, "Can you forgive me?"

I leaned up and kissed his cheek. "Maybe..."

Then frigid winds took my breath away. The portal deposited us on an icy mountainous landscape below dreary skies. But this was Tarniq's familiarity. Casting his magic, the ice parted to reveal another indentation above a rock ledge. After we passed through the portal, Tarniq stayed behind to guard the gate.

In sharp contrast, we emerged into a steamy jungle of thorny vines. With a liberal dose of pixie dust, the vines snaked aside. Curtsying, Gwenlynn remained while our dwindling party continued.

The next portal led to an airless planetoid within deep space. Galen stopped us from passing to our doom. Working together, he and Enya cast a shimmering alchemy spell, creating a pressurized bubble of breathable air.

Through the last portal, Father, Dante, and I stepped into a massive dank cavern illuminated by strange glowing crystals. Tall rock pillars cast eerie shadows.

"The Underworld," Dante announced.

"What have we to fear?" I asked.

"The Soul Eater — the very essence of evil. It feeds on the life-force of witches, keeping them in this cruel purgatory. It took your mother."

"You could have told me of this before."

Dante raised an eyebrow. "Would it have mattered?"

"No."

After closing the portal behind as a precaution, we ventured deeper into the cavern, finding countless stone platforms arranged in neat rows. On each laid a witch, eyes closed and arms folded. Wispy white vapors rose from their hazy forms, collecting above and flowing into the darkness — their life-forces. My heart went out to them all.

Breathless, I rushed from one platform to another, looking for one particular witch. "There she is!" I gushed as my heart leaped. Mother had the same dark, gentle face as in my old memories. Father came to my side.

But nothing we did revived Mother, and my heart plummeted. For the first time since she disappeared, tears again traced Father's cheeks.

As a chill spread across the cavern, the anti-magic Null inside me woke with a mental snarl.

A dark swirling form lifted like smoke around a glowing red fire, towering over us. "So you have come for that one?" it said in a chorus of many voices.

"Let her go!" I ordered.

"And give up such a delicious soul?" it replied with a chilling chuckle. "But for the Yew Stone, I shall set the one you love free."

Dante shook his head, and I knew why. Giving the stone to the Soul Eater would free it to ravage our worlds.

Jumping before me, Father and Dante simultaneously fired off bright bolts of magic, but the beast merely absorbed them within its formless mass. A vaporous swat sent them sprawling.

The Soul Eater laughed. "No magic can harm me, for I am magic."

Indignant to such evil magic, the Null bucked against my mental constraints like a raging bull in a cage. I smiled. "What about anti-magic?"

Feed! I commanded the Null.

Hissing streams of shimmering gray mist shot from my body, and beast set upon beast. They became a maelstrom, swirling together in turbulent fury. Bright white bolts danced as thunder rolled. But in the end, magic could not stand against anti-magic. Screams of many voices reverberated as the Null fed in ravenous hunger until the Soul Eater vanished. Finally sated, the Null returned.

As I pressed Mother's amethyst pendant into her hands, she awoke with a gasp. "Stori, my daughter, is that you?" Her eyes widened at Father. "My love?" We embraced each other in tearful joy.

But then her body faded, evaporating into rising white shimmers, as did all the other freed witches.

"Mother?" I cried.

"It is my time. But one last moment to say I love you both." 

Water spilled from my eyes. "But I came to rescue you."

Her voice faded as she vanished. "My dear daughter, you already have."