I Wish I Never Did It

"DETENTION, Mr. Potter." Umbridge yelled triumphantly. "Tomorrow evening. Five o' clock. My office. I will say it again, this is a lie. The Ministry of Magic guarantees that you are not in danger from any Dark wizard. If you are still worried, by all means come and see me outside class hours. If someone is alarming you with rumors of reborn Dark wizards, I would like to hear about it. I am here to help. I am your friend. Now, kindly continue your reading. Page five, "Basics for Beginners.'"

Professor Umbridge sat down again. Harry, however, stood up. Everyone was staring at him; some scared, some fascinated.

"Harry, no!" Hermione whispered, trying to get him to sit back down. Harry ignored her.

"So, according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord, did he?" Harry asked, his voice shaking.

The class had a collective intake of breath. They glanced at Harry, then Umbridge, then back to Harry, fearing what was about to come.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident," Umbridge said coldly.
"It was murder," Harry retorted. He was shaking, and everyone could see it. Harry had never told anyone about it, and now everyone was listening. "Voldemort killed him, and you know it."

Umbridge's face was blank, then she said, "Come here, Mr. Potter, dear."

Harry kicked aside his chair, strode around Ron and Hermione and up to the teacher's desk. The entire class was holding their breath. Umbridge pulled out a small roll of pink parchment, stretched it out on the desk, dipped her quill in the ink, and started scribbling a message.

Dear Professor McGonagall,

I've sent Harry to see you to control his temper. He has disrupted the class, shouted at me, and called me a liar. He said that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Names was back, in which I tried to tell him the truth. Due to this outburst, he now has detention everyday this week, starting tomorrow at 5 o' clock. Please get him to calm down and stop spewing nonsense.

Head Inquisitor,

Dolores Umbridge

"Take this to Professor McGonagall, dear," Umbridge said, holding out the note to Harry. Harry took the note without a word, fuming, and left the room, slamming the door behind him. Everyone watched him leave, then turned to Umbridge.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Page five, "Basics for Beginners.'" She said. Everyone quickly put their head down and started to read. After a couple minutes, the bell rang. "Remember class, if you haven't finished the chapter, it is homework. You may leave." The kids couldn't leave fast enough.

The rest of the day passed by, with no distractions. The next day, Umbridge was excited for the upcoming detention. Class was too slow, but finally, 5 o' clock rolled around. She sat down in her office and was marking some essays when she heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," she called. Harry entered the room and stared at the walls, not seeming to notice Umbridge. He was looking at the plates with cats she had on the walls. They were all kittens, meowing softly. They were the cutest things. After he had stared at the walls for a while, she decided to gain his attention.

"Hem, hem. Good evening, Mr. Potter." Harry stared at her, and the look on his face told her that he had just noticed her.

"Evening, Professor Umbridge." Harry said.

"Well, sit down." Umbridge said and pointed to the small table she had set up beforehand. It was draped in lace and was accompanied by a straight-backed chair. She had also set up a blank piece of parchment but had not put down a quill yet.