10. Flat Screen

I picked myself up from my bed and sauntered down the stairs. Nobody was home yet, and I found it strange. Usually Bella would be home by now at the very least. I peered out the front door and saw her, dad, and the Blacks all getting out of their vehicles. I walked out, barefoot, to greet them.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't see you behind the wheel, Jake," Dad said, disapprovingly.

"We get permits early on the rez," Jacob replied as they all walked up to the front porch. That was a boldfaced lie, and everyone knew it.

"Sure you do," Charlie laughed, clearly taking the comment in good humor.

"I have to get around somehow." Billy quipped back. I barely remembered what happened to him. It was some kind of accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down. Dad had been meaning to install a ramp for him at our house, but he had never gotten around to it. Instead, Jacob and my dad helped lift him up the stairs.

"I wasn't expecting company today," Dad said, gesturing to the messy front hall. It wasn't like Billy cared or hadn't seen our messy house before.

"I hope it's not a bad time," Billy stated flatly. I got the impression that having him in wasn't really a choice at all.

"No, it's great. I hope you can stay for the game."

Jake grinned at that comment. "I think that's the plan – our TV broke last week."

Billy glared at Jacob, annoyed that he had spilled their little plan. "And, of course, Jacob was anxious to see Bella again." Jacob ducked his head in embarrassment. Apparently their little walk on the beach had made an impression. Unfortunately for him, Bella had become more and more devoted to getting to know Edward. I can't say I approved. While I knew Emmett pretty well by know, I didn't know Edward. I didn't know how good his self control was and a part of me feared for her safety.

"Are you hungry?" Bella interjected.

I piped up first "Yes, absolutely!" I exclaimed; eyebrows raised.

"Naw, we ate just before we came," Jacob answered.

"How about you, Charlie?" Bella asked, still not calling him Dad, as she rounded the corner into the kitchen to start on dinner.

"Sure," he replied, moving in the opposite direction towards the TV. As he and Billy settled in to watch the game, Jake and I followed Bella into the kitchen.

"So... I've been working on the rabbit a bunch lately," he said awkwardly, trying to break the ice after our argument.

"Oh yeah? Is it done yet?" Bella hijacked the conversation. I had a feeling she did it intentionally to save me from having to talk to him.

"Still need to find a master cylinder for the thing. How's the truck? Is there something wrong with it? I noticed you weren't driving it." He asked.

"Wait, how'd you get home then?" I asked her, confused.

"I got a ride with a friend." I knew who that friend probably was, but I kept my mouth shut.

"Nice ride." Jacob admired. "I didn't recognize the driver, though. I thought I knew most of the kids around here."

She just nodded, trying to avoid the topic. Jake refused to drop it though and pushed for more information. "My dad seemed to know him from somewhere."

"Lucy, could you pass me some plates?" She asked me, still avoiding answering him.

"So who was it?" Jacob asked, coming right out and asking her. Who did he think he was, practically demanding to know who she spent her time with? While I didn't necessarily approve of her and Edward, it was hardly even my place to tell her who she could and couldn't hang out with. It was definitely none of his business.