XX

As the morning sun filtered through the classroom windows, casting a warm glow over the desks, I couldn't shake the heavy weight of worry that settled over me like a suffocating blanket. The memory of Alex's abrupt departure yesterday lingered in my mind, leaving me with a nagging sense of unease.

As I took my seat in class, I couldn't help but notice the strange behavior of my classmates—furtive glances exchanged behind hands, whispers that trailed off into uncomfortable silence whenever I approached. A knot of apprehension twisted in my stomach as I wondered what could be causing this sudden shift in atmosphere.

Before I could dwell on it further, Samantha, hurried over to me, her expression tense and solemn.

"Elizabeth, you need to see this," Samantha said, her voice low and urgent. Without a word, she pulled out her phone and showed me a video.

My eyes widened in horror as I watched the footage—a video of Nicholas kissing me in his office. Shock and disbelief coursed through me as I stared at the screen, feeling my cheeks burn with embarrassment.

In the video you couldn't make out his face with his back facing the camera but you could clearly see that the girl in the video was me there was no mistaking it.

"Samantha, how did this happen?" I whispered, my voice trembling with fear.

Samantha explained, her brow furrowed with concern. "One of our classmates walked in on you and Nicholas, and they recorded it. Now, everyone's seen it. They sent it anonymously so no one knows for sure who did it."

A wave of humiliation washed over me, the realization hitting me like a punch to the gut. I felt exposed and vulnerable, the weight of judgment from my peers bearing down on me like a crushing weight.

"But not everyone believes it and many don't even realise it's him."

I shrug her attempts to console me and leave.

Desperate to explain and salvage what was left of my reputation, I rushed out of the classroom in search of Alex. I needed him to understand, to believe me—to know that what happened with Nicholas was a mistake, a moment of weakness fueled by confusion and vulnerability.

But when I finally found Alex, he was giving me the cold shoulder, his expression closed off and distant.

"Alex, please, you have to listen to me," I pleaded, my voice breaking with emotion. "That video—it's not what it looks like. I swear, I never meant for any of this to happen."

But it was no use. Alex remained unmoved, his icy demeanor a painful reminder of the irreparable damage caused by the video.

"Elizabeth, I don't want to hear it," Alex said, his voice cold and distant. "I can't do this anymore."

My face falls as his words register in my mind.

He doesn't want to talk about it.

About us.

This was it.

Tears pricked at my eyes as I realized that the connection we once shared had been shattered beyond repair, leaving me alone to face the fallout of my actions.

Everything was going so well, how did my life get ruined in a single day?

My hand wrapped tight around his wrist holding him in place.

"Alex I told you it wasn't like that. It didn't mean anything. Just hear me out" He shrugged my hold off.

"It's fine. I get it, you don't have to explain anything."

"Besides I'm getting late. I have to go."

I frowned at him in confusion. My anxiety soared up at the thought of him leaving me.