5

Colby pov

I woke up. I was in the same guest bed in the air bnb that I slept in. I looked around. Then I sat up. And I just sat there.

My life- was so fucked up.

My whole body felt horrible. Not physically. But mentally. I felt like I got stabbed. Like my entire family just died and I have nothing anymore. Like everyone and everything I knew was a dream and I just woke up. I screamed to myself a little. God. Why? I stood up and got out of bed. I got dizzy and stood against a wall

God I just stood up too fast. I walked out of the room. I saw Jake and Tara sitting at the table. He saw me walk across the carpet. He stood up then hugged me. I hugged back.

"What do you want to do?" He asked me.

We let go of each other. "Uh-" I didn't know. I wanted to see him but I didn't. But I needed to take these tapes to the station.

I was hungry. Maybe I should just eat first. "I think I will eat, then we can go."

He nodded. He went over to the kitchen. "There are some foods we brought over here last night. Sorry there's not much. But I wasn't going to stay the night here until you got here. So I decided too."

"Oh thanks." I said mostly to myself. I walked over to him to see what was there. I didn't see much I would eat. But there was a bit of ice cream in the freezer. "Is it fine if I eat this?" I asked. I held the ice cream in my hand.

"Yeah," He said.

I opened a drawer for a spoon but there was nothing. "Any spoons man?" I said.

"Oh yeah Tara brought over some stuff earlier?" He said. He stood up and went over, grabbed one from a small box, and handed it to me. I then went over and ate ice cream on the couch.

Jake came and sat next to me. It was silent for about a minute until Jake said, "You don't have to come if you don't want to."

I sat there for a few seconds thinking. I needed to go. I needed to confront Sam. Even though it will hurt it will be just like facing mental trauma. I've done it before I can do it again. "I have to go and I need to confront Sam."

A few more seconds of silence. "If you need to talk to me about anything, I know I wasn't as close to Sam as you were, but it's hard. And I don't know how you're feeling right now, but I don't even know how I'm feeling right now, so I can't imagine what you're feeling. I just need you to know you can talk to me whenever you need."

"Honestly Jake," I said, "I don't know exactly what I'm feeling, but I am feeling. Right now my body is filled with anger, sadness, and betrayal." I felt myself tear up, "When I see Sam I don't know what will come first. But I'm just going to accept the feeling for now."

"Yeah man, this next year is just going to be hard, so we just need to be here for each other." he said. I nodded.

I was going to miss this. Just my good memories with Sam. Even though they may be just pure lies. Some of them were good. Like when we first bonded over a girl we had a crush on. I remember being at band camp with him. The first day I met him. How he was that old when he was in the tapes. How he did all of this, for me. .. A shot of anger ran through me. I didn't know why but I couldn't control it. I needed to see Sam. Soon. But first- I stood up, put the ice cream on the table, and began to dig through the tapes.

"What are you doing bro?" asked Jake. He was walking behind me.

"Get dressed," I said, grabbing one of the random tapes, "We are going to leave for the station in a few minutes."

"I- okay are you going to bring the tapes to the car?"

"Yes I will, just get ready to go."

"Uh-u okay, I'll go get ready." He ran to a different room. I assume grabbing some things to get ready. I took the tape, number 12, and went over to the player. I put it in and pressed play.