Chapter 4: Bruce and Harley

The red dot on the computer screen made a total of five stops before ending its journey at a sixth and final location.

"Do you think he's done touring the city?" Harley asked, drumming her fingers on the desk.

"He may be switching vehicles," Bruce suggested. "It's also possible he already did at one of the previous stops, and we've been tailing a decoy."

"What?" Harley moaned.

"It happens sometimes," Bruce told her. "The good news is we do have the locations he visited, so if a switch was made at one of them, we might recover evidence at the scene capable of pointing us in the right direction. Most criminals in Gotham have been caught before, so they're not too concerned with masking their identity. The difficulty level in finding out who these newcomers are, and their area of operations, will depend on how much effort they've put into concealing their trail."

"What's next then?" Harley questioned.

"We find out what we can about the locations from here until it gets dark, then we do a little investigating up close," Bruce explained.

"I'll take the first three," Harley volunteered, snatching the paper as soon as Bruce printed the list of locations. She took a step toward her office, but she paused, slapping the paper down on the desk. Spinning around, she grabbed the back of Bruce's chair and tilted him into a reclined position before planting a giant kiss on him.

"See you soon, Puddin'. Love ya," Harley told Bruce when she righted his chair. She collected the printout from his desk on her way out.

                                                                                                ***

After studying for hours every record and file she could find on the first three locations where the bugged car had stopped, Harley had discovered something very important - she hated being a detective. It was far too boring. Busting down the front door and finding someone with information that could be sweet-talked or smacked out of them was far simpler and more fun.

Despite being Batwoman, Harley had left the detective side of things to Bruce. He'd always let her know where, when, and why a job needed doing, but she'd never realized how much mind numbing work he must've put into it.

Harley leaned back in her chair and rested her eyes. The door to Bruce's office opened, but she didn't look up.

"Tired?" Bruce asked.

"Mmm," Harley confirmed.

Bruce's strong hands settled on her shoulders and began to massage away the knots in her muscles.

"I'm going to give you exactly two hours to stop that," Harley told him with a smile, her eyes still closed.

"Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you?" Bruce inquired.

"Probably, but I'm forgetful, so say it again," Harley giggled.

"Doing research and investigative work isn't as exciting as I know you'd prefer," Bruce explained. "Your willingness to put aside your desire for fun and help me push through this is greatly appreciated."

"I know it's important to you," Harley replied.

"It is," Bruce confirmed. He leaned over to speak in her ear, his voice little more than mere breath. "Thank you."

Opening her eyes, she reached up and squeezed one of his hands while smiling up at him.

"The sun's going down," Bruce told her. "We should have time to get some dinner before investigating these locations."

Stepping back from her chair, he held out an arm to her. "My lady?"

Harley's smile widened. Standing up, she took hold of the offered arm. "Thank you, kind sir."

                                                                                                 ***

The hyenas greeted Bruce happily when Harley opened the car door, bounding out to put their paws on him and beg for the scratches he instantly provided. Bruce knelt down to play with the animals, and Harley watched him, her thoughts focused on how his behavior reflected on his aptitude for being a dad.

"Something wrong?" Bruce asked when he noticed her staring.

"Just lost in thought," Harley answered. She clapped her hands. "Come on, babies."

The hyenas rushed back to the car and climbed in back seat. When she tossed him the keys, Bruce opened the passenger door for her and waited while she sat down and pulled her legs in before closing it and returning to the driver's side.

During the drive back to Wayne Manor, Harley's thoughts were a tangled knot, twisting and looping back on each other, and any attempt to follow one line to its conclusion was a roller coaster that either ended abruptly or merged seamlessly into a different idea with no indication as to what happened to the previous one.

"You're being awfully quiet," Bruce remarked.

"Me?" Harley questioned.

"No, the other quiet person in the car," Bruce quipped.

"You can't hear them either?" Harley asked with a grin.

Bruce gave her a sideways look, and she started laughing. When able to speak, she explained, "I'm just thinking about things."

"Any particulars?" Bruce prompted.

Part of her mind shouted for her to tell him, but another yelled she'd end up being sidelined for her protection. More voices pointed out the timing was wrong, and she should keep silent until she could tell him in the right way. She was trying to sort through the chorus of voices when the car swerved suddenly, pulling off the road and parking on the shoulder.

"Harley, what is it?" Bruce insisted, turning to face her the moment the car was no longer in gear. "Something's clearly on your mind, so out with it."

"Are you always this intense?" Harley asked.

"You should know," Bruce answered.

"You might want to see someone about it," Harley suggested.

Bruce took her hand. "Well, I am seeing a psychiatrist."

"I meant professionally, not romantically, you silly goose," Harley countered.

"I would've thought you wanted to get me on the psychiatric couch," Bruce mentioned.

"Well sure," Harley agreed. "But, unless you're going to repeal your policy on business before pleasure, you had better change the subject."

Bruce caressed the side of her face, fingers curling around the curve of her neck to pull her close. Whispering in her ear with a voice that made her feel like her entire being would melt into a puddle on the floor of the car, he told her, "You do so tempt me, my love."

She thought there was something important she needed to tell him, but Harley couldn't get her mouth to form the words as it took nearly all her concentration to remember how to breathe.