The Path to the Stormwind Ark

"What do you mean you saw Zelda", Link asked, the two trailing behind to talk to each other.

"I don't think you'd believe me if I told you", Kate stated.

"Think I wouldn't believe a new recruit who joined the guard to get out of the castle", Link asked as Kate let out a small laugh, that memory coming back to her.

(Years Ago, Hyrule Field)

All the soldiers were outside the castle, getting a bit of training in, soldier against soldier, everyone clashed swords as the Captain of the Guard watched everyone closely; after awhile, the soldiers were instructed to take a small break, Kate, disguised as a soldier, gazed up at the castle.

"I owe you big time, Zelda", Kate mumbled with a smile.

"Soldiers, back to training", the Captain shouted as the soldiers either got up off the ground or moved back towards where they were practicing before; moving in front of a soldier, she found herself face-to-face with Link.

"Ready", Link asked.

"Ready", Kate said in a low tone, mimicking a boys voice; the other soldiers stopped what they were doing, everyone, even the captains head turning towards the two, ready to watch the events unfold; Link charged forward as Kate held her sword up to dodge before taking a swing at him, he quickly rolled out of the way and swiped at her feet, forcing her to jump; metal clashed against metal before both swords met in the middle, both attempting to push either one to the ground, the swords pushed towards her, no matter how hard she attempted to push back, the swords wouldn't move.

"Curse my lack of strength", Kate thought to herself as she was pushed to the ground, a tip of Link's sword near her face; pulling the sword away a few seconds later, he held his hand out which she took and pulled her up; the soldiers cheering after the fight as the Captain walked towards the two.

"Well done again, Link, I thought you'd be bested this time, but once again, you surprise me", the Captain said as Link nodded his head, "and you, don't take this loss to heart, not everyone can keep up with him as you did, keep practicing and one day, you'll both be in the Royal Guard",

"Yes, sir", Kate said as the captain turned towards the other soldiers.

"I think that's enough training for today, head back inside the castle", the Captain ordered, walking towards the castle with the soldiers behind him, Link and Kate trailing behind.

"Nice job out there... Kate", Link said with a small smile.

"How'd you know it was me", Kate asked, dropping the facade.

"Out of all the times we've fought, all the time's I've trained you... I can tell", Link explained, "how did you even get out of the castle, and out here unnoticed",

"Zelda's covering for me as I used the secret passageways to get to the guard's quarters", Kate replied, "only thing I don't like about all this is this helmet, it weights a ton",

"I'd keep it on till we get back inside", Link stated, "I thought you'd wait for me to teach you",

"I was... but I also wanted to try this out", Kate said, "I know I can't keep doing this forever, but I'd at least like to learn to fight and help out the best way I can",

"Well, you heard the captain, keep this up and we'll be in the Royal Guard soon", Link complimented as the two walked back inside the castle.

(Memory End)

"You almost believed it", Kate said.

"No... I knew it was you the whole time", Link stated, "But back to where we were... where did you see Zelda",