03

dedicated to dreamersforeverXx for the endless support she shows me!

Chapter Three

"I'M SORRY, CAN YOU REPEAT THAT?"

Evan and I are staring at each other, mine a more bewildered stare that his look of nonchalance. "This doesn't bother you at all, make you angry?" I start to shake my head, pushing back from the window. My head is spinning, and I can't think straight. The image of Ben kissing Jess makes me feel sick. The whole of my insides twist at the thought, the image cemented into my brain.

"She's your girlfriend and you don't seem at all fazed," I finish, puzzled.

Evan sighs deeply and sits on the edge of a table. "Maybe because she isn't my girlfriend,"

"What?" I can feel the anger radiating everywhere. It's loudest in my ears and I feel myself being consumed by it.

"She's not my girlfriend, Kayla. It's just what everyone thinks, so whatever. She's like my sister." He shrugs but looks up at me for my reaction and takes the bag of chips from the table that I had completely forgotten about.

"Wait, what?" This boy confuses me more by the second.

He rolls his eyes again as if this conversation is beneath him and it irks me how relaxed he is. I feel as if my entire universe has gone smashing down on me in a matter of seconds and his lack of emotion infuriates every cell inside my body more. I slap the packet of chips from his hands before he can wolf down the rest.

Evan grunts. "It's not like we kiss or anything. People assume because you're close with a girl then you must be boning her," he takes the bag of chips back.

"But-"

"No buts Kayla, it's pretty simple." He successfully reaches the packet of chips and tips the packet upside down, his mouth catching all the cheesy goodness. My stomach moans at me again and I curse myself for not stealing a couple when I had the chance.

"You're unbelievable," I say, exasperated.

Evan grins. "Aw, Kayla baby, you're so nice to me."

I make a face. "I just can't believe you didn't make it clear that she wasn't your girlfriend. I mean everyone had pegged you as an idiot because we all knew she was sleeping around with everyone. I thought you were just, you know, an idiot." I look at him quizzically before slumping my shoulders.

"But Ben and I..."

"You were together." Evan finishes for me. I only nod, not sure what else to say. It is too surreal that I am even talking about this with him.

"There's no need to get upset about it," Evan licks his lips and smiles, as if it's just that easy, "he's a complete jerk."

"Yeah," I agree. "A jerk that I'm about to kill."

"Really?" Evan stands in front of the door just as I move to walk out of it. "You're going to walk down there with God knows what flinging around this place and go with all guns blazing?" He pauses to read my reaction, "and then what? Yell because he decided to get with another girl, seriously?" It's rhetorical and I'm thinking about punching him in the face too whilst I'm at it.

He knows this and continues speaking. "It's more logical to think of some pretty good revenge. Play the innocent girlfriend and kick him the fucking balls when he's cowering and, on all fours—"

"You're disgusting."

"If you let me finish you would know I was going to say metaphorically,"