Chapter 1

COULD A PERSON BE HAPPIER?

That was me in the national competition of poetry, and yes I am a poet, a poet who writes but about misery and darkness and how sad life can be. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not a pessimist, in fact I am one of the most optimistic people in this miserable horrible world, I just like to release my negative power on paper.

So yeah ! The first price; I am so awesome, I always try to convince myself of that. You can't be awesome if you're a mere writer in this country; They are saying it's not the kind of job that will make you a living, but since community happens to have a solution for everything, I can always get married when I grow up, and have a lot of babies, and as a privilege keep my writing obsess as a hobby.

The ceremony was done, and mom, as much as she was proud, was very annoyed by the insignificant price, "Could they be cheaper?" she was murmuring. Well, it was fine for me, I beat up everyone in the country who pretend to have a talent in writing; So much of a talent, the fact that they've lost in front of a thirteen years old girl, but to be honest I'm not the same as those who are my age; I'm not fond of wasting my time hanging with shallow girls who always talk about the same repetitive boring stuff : the hypnotizing music of the west and the new fashion that rules. Seriously, this is why we are so retarded as a society, and this is exactly why we are still in the way of development since 1956 : WE'VE TOOK THE WRONG WAY PEOPLE !!

Tomorrow we are to be back home, and back to the daily routine I'll go.

~~~~~~

One month before summer.

People are counting time for finals while I'm counting it for vacation. Why is that? Mostly because finals are easy and in summer, I have more time to read books and avoid people. What I do not appreciate about humans and makes me eagerly seeking to avoid them is the fact that they are inhuman; Either humans are gone so far from what they should be like or our definition of humanity is incorrect.

In the meantime, everyone is talking about the finals : The teachers are always advising, the students are constantly complaining about how short is the time they have left, and the parents are worrying and being parents.

My math teacher was very surprised if not disappointed with my orientation choice.

" If your kinds were to choose literature, who are those to be engineers and doctors? "

NB : 1) Literature is very underestimated in my country and only those who are illiterate in science choose it. I did because I love it, and I believe that if I study properly I can be a great scholar and raise the level of the language currently used (which is not so great). And as much as I'm good at math I do not appreciate the subject, I'm only good at it because it's easy, maybe in high school it will get harder and I certainly will not keep up because I'm not willing to waste my time in a thing I do not like.

2) Every student's dream is limited in engineering and medicine -like those are the only available options-. The truth is there are no advisers to show students that there is a variety of jobs to be filled, therefore the students pick one of the mentioned jobs to put as a life goal. Obviously, most of them end up doing something else because not everyone can be doctors and engineers.

As I didn't want to start any debate concerning how I can make a great engineer , all I said was :

"I don't know!... I think it's better this way, I feel I have so many abilities in Literature."

"Good luck with that, I just don't want you to make the wrong choice."

"I won't... Thank you for your concern" I smiled and leaved.

Out of the math class and into the french one. The thing about french is a bit complicated; Now this is a language we learn since the third grade (in public schools) and it seems that no one has a clue of what the teacher is saying except a minority who are more or less average.

"You are totally getting another eighteen." Ghislan -one of my classmates whispered to me while the teacher was telling us our grades. And I did get another eighteen. Now to be honest, I'm not a french genius, to be frank Je ne sais pas parler en francais , the thing is the teachers are very aware of their students' level and they took that in mind while preparing the tests. I know that doesn't sound as an effective system, well it's not. We are so behind on what concerns languages except (as we say) those who have mercy from God.

~~~~~~~~

After school, I went home finding my mom crying again. I didn't bother to ask because every time I do she starts her usual speech all over again; Either how dad is such a jerk for not letting her work to provide enough money, or how my brother is such an ungrateful child for skipping school and not being by now a college student of whom at least she can be proud of.

Before I could make it to the kitchen I already knew what it was all about.

"Do you want to live this way? Do you want to make the same mistakes I did ? This is not a life I want you to have Sami !" My mom was sobbing.

"It could've been just fine if you stop whining all the time!" Sami answered murmuring curses.

"It's my fault? Is that what are you saying?" My mom said in a furious tone.

" You said it yourself, you're the one who made mistakes, don't make us suffer for it!" He shut the door of his room behind him when my mom was still yelling and crying. I couldn't stay at her sight so I won't go with her in the next round; I'm out of this mess. I completed my way to the kitchen and saved myself the trouble.

I ate, took a shower and grabbed my book to read it in bed. No fights for me today. I sank into 'Les contemplations' by V.Hugo (I know I said I couldn't read speak french, but I can read it, and reading is the only thing that's keeping me floating).

After two hours of constant reading I fell asleep with my hand over my heart stopping it from beating so loud.