𝑽𝑰𝑰𝑰.

It was like waking up in a fairy tale

It was like waking up in a fairy tale. There was no other way to describe the current state of my life. The one where I was living in a gorgeous penthouse with the promise of anything I wanted at my fingertips. Never in my wildest dreams had I anticipated this being the outcome of going to model at that Monte Carlo night.

   Sunlight poured into the room and bathed me with a new day. The blinds were up, giving me a sight full of Hampton Hills as I rolled over and peered out the window. It was breathtaking this view.

   Nothing could beat the clear blue sky and the pristine horizons before me.

   Firm knocks beat on my bedroom door. Cain.

   I sat up and adjusted my scarf. "Yes?"

   The door opened and there was Cain, dressed in a black three-piece suit with a briefcase in one hand. He opened his mouth to speak, but then he simply stared at me. The longer he just looked, the more nervous I became.

   "What?" I let out a nervous laugh.

   Cain shook his head. "You're pretty in the morning."

   I covered my face with one hand and waved him off. "No."

   "You are," he said. He took in the setting, me in bed, and an abandoned book by the edge. "Sleep good?"

   Did I? This bed was even better than the hotel's. The other half really knew how to live. "God, yes." I groaned and lay back down, extending my limbs and burrowing into the sheets. "This is the best bed I've ever slept on."

   "Well, you can get up whenever you want," Cain said, admiring me where I was getting cozy. "I have meetings all day, so I'll be back later. Beans will be with you. Whatever you want or need, don't hesitate to let it be known. He's at your disposal."

   Cain did something I didn't see coming. He reached into his jacket and pulled out my phone. He held it up, waving it. "Don't give out your location. If you're still here by the end of next week, we can talk about Duane coming to visit."

   I didn't know what to say as he came and handed me my phone back. It was fully charged and waiting for me as I pressed the Home button.

   The previous evening, I'd gotten dressed and joined Cain down in his kitchen as we ate takeout from Freddy's Fried Chicken, something that made me smile and appreciate Cain for being down-to-earth to not always splurge on fancy meals. We'd eaten and he'd given me a space to do what I wanted afterwards. I hadn't been able to call Duane like I'd said. Now, I had a link to the outside world.

   Squeezing my phone in my hand, I nodded and looked up at Cain's waiting face. "Thank you."

   Cain bobbed his head. "Enjoy your day."

   "You too," I mumbled as he walked away.

   The house was so quiet, there was no tell-tell signs of him walking down to the first floor. He could've been lingering out in the hall, testing me to see what I'd do with my phone back.