.45.

I'd gone and freaked Ava out with my unsolicited advice about moving on and messed everything up

I'd gone and freaked Ava out with my unsolicited advice about moving on and messed everything up. She was confiding in me about the traumatic abuse she suffered from not one, but two significant relationships in her past, and I was pushing her to get serious and file for divorce.

Ava got distant after that, and I felt like an ass. We fell asleep fully clothed in each other's arms.

In the morning we woke up in a tangle of limbs and so horny we couldn't resist stripping naked.

With cherished sighs and broken breaths, we reignited our unimaginable connection. We made love in slow-rolling waves of pleasure that soaked the sheets and left us gasping for air.

I took my time, discovering new erotic zones that made Ava squeal and groan and plea. We thrilled in a few different positions but ultimately, I settled between her creamy thighs in Missionary so we could see into one another.

Rutting into her with devotional moans that ended in her name, we came together in a passionate fusion of our unspoken bond. In an instant, I fell into the nebula of emotions whirling in her spellbinding eyes to understand everything and nothing all at once.

Then, Ava and I showered and headed back to my mom's place for breakfast. After all, it was Saturday, which was my morning to make pancakes with Mickie.

My niece and I joked around and made a ridiculously large batch of banana chocolate chip pancakes we couldn't possibly finish. Ava made us orange juice from concentrate and my mom baked a tray of bacon to round out our meal.

As usual, the whole family sang along like goofballs to our Disney playlist. Which is how we found out that Ava had an incredible set of pipes! Mickie must have asked her to sing 'When Will My Life Begin?' from Tangled at least seven times. 

All too soon though, I had to take Ava back to Bill's. She had a shift at The Brick that afternoon and I had some household chores to catch up on. Plus, I promised Mickie that I would take her to the park for some quality monkey bar time.

All things considered, Ava seemed more herself when I left her, but I still had a lot of unanswered questions.

Starting with, who the hell was her ex-husband and where could I find him?

There wasn't anything I could do to the guy legally (yet) but I knew control freaks like him don't just give up when their wives leave. If anything, women are most at risk in the days, weeks, and months after they've left their abusive partner.

Assholes like that are enraged by their partner's defiance and are desperate to regain control at all costs, even if that meant silencing their spouse forever. As a patrolman and a detective, I've worked a sickening amount of those types of homicide cases.

The truth is there's only so much that cops can do in cases of domestic violence, especially if one partner is too afraid to press charges or report the abuse. All too often, those cases end in tragedy before the police are ever called.