♡ MUKHTALIF♡

Twenty- three years ago, a young girl of nineteen, had left this grand haweli behind in desperation, never to look back, taking with her all the happiness and joy.

Chaali gaayi thi woh jo iss mehel ki laal shehzaadi huya karti thi, aapni naarazgi ka chadar ude, raat ke andhere mei, bohot dur. Aur jaab lauti, tou louti baas ek safeid khabar baan ke.

Fifteen years ago, on a rainy night, among the deafening thunder and blinding lightning, a little girl was brought into the Malik haveli. The age old structure stood, imposing and terrifying, and waited for the girl, merely seven years of age, to enter its premise.

Standing in front of unknown faces, the little girl was scared. She wanted to cry. She had lost her mother, her wounds still fresh and heart still crushed by the cruel world.

The child held onto the social worker's pants for her dear life, terrified that the moment she lets go, they will leave her behind.

Her little mind was a jumbled mess of questions until a stern looking old man came to kneel down in front of her. Out of thin air, he took out a delicious looking candy and held it up to her, shocking her out of her wits!

But she didn't take it, of course!

The little girl was clever, she remembered all the teachings from her mother.

Never take anything from a stranger,  Dilnaaz.

She shook her head, politely, not to offend the man. The man, however,  probably still took offence as he frowned at her.

"Do you not like chocolate, my child?" His voice was deep. Naaz wanted to laugh, he reminded her off a cartoon character.

"I am not allowed to take anything from a stranger!" Naaz informed him diligently, hoping he would understand that it was nothing personal.

The man somehow looked even more distraught at her answer. Maybe he didn't like children like her. Mannerless. Atleast that was what the warden said.

"But I am no stranger, my dear. I'm your Grandfather."

A Grandfather?

Naaz didn't know she had one!

She tilted her head, trying to understand his words. It still didn't make any sense for him to be her grandfather.

"I am your mother's father." He clarified for her, looking at her hopefully.

"But-" Naaz tried to make sense of her thoughts, " My Ammi is an orphan."

That's what her mother would always tell her. Naaz had full faith in her.

The old man's face crumbled, he looked close to tears as he took several deep breaths and cleared his throat. "She was mistaken. She could never be an orphan as long as her Baba was here."

He looked like he was having hard time talking. So reluctantly she took the chocolate he had in his hands, thinking maybe that would make him feel better.

Naaz hated crying and she hated it even more when others cried in front of her.

The man smiled an assuring smile as he watched her assess the wrapper. "Your Ammi was not an orphan and neither are you, my child."

Naaz didn't believe him, of course, because she was clever. But she didn't voice her opinion either.

The strange man looked sad and she didn't want to hurt him.