Larrea

"So you were with this other woman?!" my mother yelled downstairs at my drunk father on the couch ignoring her words as usual.

My parents argue all the time and it hurts to see my mother cry.

I hate my father, all he does is drink and cheat and put his hands on my mother. Growing up, he lived in the same house as me but wasn't present in my life.

My mother on the other hand always knew me. Being with my mother is like warmth filling my body and happiness surrounding me.

I put on my headphones and black out my mother and father yelling at each other and play my favorite song "cardigan" and sink into the lyrics.

Everytime i hear this song I think of Nathan, my best friend, which made me open up imessage and send him a text.

"Hey Nathan" I texted at 10:43 pm.

Nathan has been my best friend since 4th grade. He's way taller than me, around maybe 6'2, and I am only 5'5 which is kind of weird because he used to be so short.. He has always been tough and has always had my back from day one even if I shut him out.

I know, it sounds horrible, but for some reason he understands me more than I can even understand myself.

That's what makes our connection so strong.

"Hey Larrea, what's up?" He texted me back. "Please Nathan, pick me up. My parents are arguing again." I bit my lip hoping that he can pick me up even though it's late. "I am on my way. Hang in there Rea."

I waited patiently and quietly hoping that my father just thinks that I am asleep and doesn't come inside my room to yell at me.

I positioned my pillows to form a fake body making it look like I am asleep and in bed and hoping that if my mother walked in to check on me she couldn't tell the difference between the pillows and my actual body.

My phone buzzed and I checked it to see Nathan's text saying he's outside. I swiftly and carefully snuck out of my window onto my house roof then jumped off. Luckily the roof from my bedroom window isn't that high for me to hurt myself.

I headed into Nathan's car and finally sat down. "Hey Nathan" I said to him as I looked out the window while he drove off not making eye contact too much.

"Hey rea." I could tell he sounded kind of worried for me and decided to put his hand on my shoulder.

I didn't say anything for the rest of the ride, I just continued to look out the window hoping my mother wouldn't piss off my dad too much to the point he hits her.

I wish she could just leave him so we can get out of this sad life.