To Usurp Or Not To Usurp

I heard a low hum and the soft coos of a baby as my eyes opened with a few slow blinks. I was in a soft bed, my arm stretched feeling the dent left by someone who had laid there until not much long ago. I straightened myself, now laying on my back instead of my side, and rubbed my temple with my hand trying to reclaim my memories. The room was bright with sunlight pouring through the window.

Sunlight? Shit.

I opened my eyes sharply, now wide awake.

Shit! This wasn't supposed to happen. I wasn't supposed to fall asleep. I had a plan. I was going to make use of the night. But since it is now day. that means that Viserys had died. And Otto had begun his plan to usurp the throne. Maybe it hadn't been too late.

"It is our fate, I think, to crave always what is given to another." I heard Helaena's sweet voice. Her words sounded familiar. Memories of the night with Helaena began pouring in.

"If one possesses a thing, the other will take it away." Helaena continued. My savoring of the memories did not even last a moment as the realization hit as to why the words sounded familiar. I jolted to a seating position.

"Yes, Princess" the handmaid answered. But Helaena's attention was now on me, she seemed startled by my sudden movements.

If it has been so far into the day that means... I looked towards the door that burst open. ...Crap

Alicent walked into the room followed closely by Otto. Her eyes searched the room until they laid upon me. She seemed almost surprised to see me there.

"Aegon," Alicent said as if someone finally found a pet they had lost.

"Mother?" I questioned.

"You need to come with us right now!" Otto stepped up to the two of the bed.

"Come where?" I asked. I knew what was happening. The king had passed and Alicent had misheard his final words. She and Otto had convened the Green Council already and were ready to usurp the throne.

"Your father..." Alicent began. I shifted my attention back to her. She paused and looked at the handmaiden that Helaena was talking to earlier. With a gesture with her head, she told the maiden to leave, who quickly complied, taking the kids with her. "Your father did not awaken this morning. He has passed." Alicent sounded genuinely sad giving the news. Somehow, someway, she had loved Viserys, and his passing saddened her. Helaena stood and hugged her mother in comfort.

There was a moment's silence before Otto spoke again.

"You must come with us so that we can prepare," he said.

"Prepare for what?" I asked sternly.

"Your father..." Alicent answered between sniffles. "last night he told me he wanted you to be his heir."

"And now that the king has passed," Otto continued, "you will be crowned king."

Helaena sharply turned her head towards me. Her face painted a vivid picture of her worries. Just last night I had promised her that I wouldn't allow things to turn out like this and now her worst nightmares were coming true.

I crawled out of bed and put on my tunic.

"What are you talking about?" I looked straight at Otto. "Rhaenyra is... was my father's heir. Now that he is gone, she is the Queen."

"Did you not just hear your mother?" Otto raised his voice. "Your father named you his heir last night."

"I swore my allegiance to Rhaenyra just hours ago," I emphasized. "The first time that my father acknowledged me as his son was once, I conceded to his daughter."

"Aegon..." Alicent began.

"Mother," I cut her off. "I swore to you that I would be a son you would be proud of. You wish for me to start my first day as an oath breaker?"

"You are your father's heir!" Otto yelled. "You always have been. You were the king's first-born son! The throne was always your right. The king had been stubborn for years but even he realized his mistake and rectified it. Unless you consider your mother a liar."

I hadn't taken my eyes off Alicent. It was clear that she was barely containing herself. The death of her husband had hurt her but that wasn't all. She truly believed that Viserys wanted me to be king, but she was conflicted. Worried.

"You expect Rhaenyra to believe that?" I finally turned towards Otto. "You think she will accept that in his dying moments, father changed a decision he has upheld for my entire lifetime and named me his heir instead of her with only my mother as the witness of this last-minute change? Do you hear how absurd it sounds?"

"But it's true..." Alicent said firmly.

"That is not what I asked Mother, I asked if she would believe it. Because I wouldn't. What then? How do you expect to convince her? Or do you wish for me to go to war with her? Because that is exactly what will happen." I tried to be the voice of reason. I'm sure it must have been weird for everyone because no one would expect Aegon to be the reasonable one.

"We will send a message to the Princess," Otto stated plainly. "We will offer her terms of surrendering her claim. If she is smart, she will accept. Otherwise... you are right... we will have to stop her claim."

"Stop her how?" I asked, gritting my teeth.

"Any means necessary," Otto said, with a steady calm in his voice.

"You would have me be an oath breaker and kin slayer? Is that right mother?" I asked, turning towards Alicent. She did not meet my eyes.

"Aegon," Otto began.

"LORD HAND!" I cut him off. "I have just received news of my father's passing. I would like some time with my mother and wife to grieve."

Otto gave me an angry look and I returned it. He shifted his eyes to Alicent who kept her head down. Otto looked back at me for a second and then walked out angrily.

"Mother." I addressed Alicent. She did not respond. I looked at Helaena who placed a reassuring hand on my arm.

"Mother," I said again. "I do not want the throne. Even if Father changed his mind, I am happy to call Rhaenyra my queen."

"No! No, my son. You must take the throne. Your father said it was the only way."

"What exactly did he say?" I asked. I knew very well the conversation they had but I had just thought of something new. The only thing I could do and for that I needed to create an explanation for knowing Viserys's last words.

"He said only you could save us. He said you were the prince that was promised." Alicent answered.

I stayed silent for a moment as if I was pondering but in reality, there was nothing to ponder about. I had made up my mind.

"Alright," I finally said. "I will obey the king's wishes."

"Wonderful!" Alicent exclaimed. Helaena though removed her comforting hand away. "We must act quickly. Before Rhaenyra finds out." Alicent continued.

"I know," I answered. "Tell grandfather to prepare the coronation ceremony in the throne room with all the Lords and then a feast afterward."

Alicent gave me a proud smile while Helaena stared me down angrily. Not that I looked at her, but I could tell.

"But..." I said. "I am fulfilling my father's will, but I need some time to come to terms with it. I need some time to gather myself. I wish not to be disturbed until the ceremony.

Alicent didn't answer but nodded her head softly and left the room.

I watched Alicent leave the room and then turn back to Helaena but before I could fully turn her, my face met her hand.

I understood the desire to slap Aegon silly, t but I hated it when it was actually me feeling the pain. And it didn't help that these Hightower women had bony hands that hurt like hell.

"You promised me!" Helaena yelled between tears.

"I have every intention of keeping it," I answered, cupping both of her cheeks and wiping away her tears with both of my thumbs. "I will keep my promise, but I will need your help. Now listen to me closely."