Rude Awakening

"GET UP!!!!" A loud feminine voice startled me. It was followed by a strong breeze sending a shrill up my spine.

A throbbing pain in my head felt as if someone had bashed in my skull. I was slowly beginning to grasp my surrounding. I was lying in a bed.

"Aegon!!" The yell sent another wave of pain to my head.

I turned slowly and saw a middle-aged woman staring down at me. She was absolutely fuming. It took me a few seconds to realize that I was completely naked. I frantically moved my hands around until I grabbed ahold of a sheet which I quickly used to cover myself.

"What? What happened?" I mumbled, fighting through the headache.

"What happened? WHAT HAPPENED!!" The yelling worsened my headache.

Why was this woman yelling? Who was she?

"What happened? Is that all you're going to say for yourself?" The woman demanded.

"I don't... what are you talking about?" I fought through the headache. My eyes were finally open.

"Dyana. The serving girl." I stared back at the woman blankly.

What the fuck is going on? Where am I? What serving girl?

"Oh for God's sake," the woman continued. "The girl, Aegon. The one you sent fleeing from your company."

What gi-... Wait did she just call me Aegon? No. Nononononono! Fuck. Please let this be a joke. Please let this be a dream. Please don't let this be real.

"Think of the shame on your wife, on me. HOW CAN YOU KEEP CARRYING ON LIKE THIS, ESPECIALLY ON A DAY LIKE TODAY."

I got up in a sitting position and was met with a swift slap to the face.

This was definitely real. The slap was definitely real. What joke had the universe played on me? I went to sleep a young man after watching the House of the Dragon and I had woken up in it. And the worst thing about it was that I was Aegon freaking Targaryen. The most hated and despicable man from the Dance of the Dragons era. Why oh why universe must you be so cruel?

The woman... Alicent... my mother? I heard her let out a sniffle and then lowered her face a few inches from mine.

"You are no son of mine," she said with genuine hurt in her voice.

She was right... partially at least... I guess.

Alicent let out a frustrated sigh. Clearly, my long pauses as I got a grasp of my new reality were proving tiresome for her. She turned around slowly and began walking out. I remembered that Aegon whined like the little bitch he was in the show, but I had no idea what to say.

Suddenly the door opened, and a young, blonde girl walked in.

Helaena. Having read the book and seen the show, I was strictly Team Black. Don't get me wrong, Daemon and Rhaenyra are... problematic to say the least but the lesser of two evils. But Helaena had all of my heart. She did not deserve any of what had happened to her and what would happen.

"Have you seen Dyana? She's supposed to dress the children." Helaena asked. She sounded so sweet. Alicent did not utter a word in response. Instead, she walked up to Helaena and hugged her who looked at me with a confused look. I know Aegon never did but I truly felt bad for her so that is the look I gave her. I was still sitting on my bed trying to keep myself covered.

Alicent let go of Helaena, turned around to give me a disgusted look, and stormed out of the room. Helaena left a few moments later.

I sat there wondering why.

Why had I been put in the body of the most despicable man in all of Westeros? Why was I made a part of Team Green? Why did I have to go against Daemon and Rhaenyra? Wait... I didn't have to go against them. I am completely aware that I am not really Aegon. Which means I do not have to act as he did. I could avoid the civil war altogether.

I understood. This was not a cruel joke but rather a chance. I had been chosen to alter history and I had every intention of doing just that.