sixteen || of paintball and loneliness

"You look so weird," I laugh loudly as Bryce pulls his on his helmet. Through the protection over his eyes I can see the way he shoots me a dirty look. He adjusts his helmet and equipment some more.

"We're wearing the same thing, so you're technically saying you look weird too," Bryce mumbles, only succeeding in increasing my laughter at his attempt at an insult. I roll my eyes and stick my tongue out at him before turning to look at Milton. He has Fiona in his arms, bouncing her up and down slightly as she places her head on his shoulder. He smiles at us.

"Good, you guys got your equipment on. You ever played before?" Milton asks. We both shake our head and he nods, putting Fiona down in a chair. "Well we're going to divide the four of you into teams. We're basically going to be playing capture the flag, which I'm sure you both know how to play. Once one of you have been shot, raise your hand to avoid getting shot again and then leave the field of play. If a ball hits you and the paint doesn't come out, then it doesn't count."

He adjusts the guns in our hands until we're holding them properly. "Don't hold the gun upside down, it'll cause for jamming. If you do jam, yell out 'Jam!' so everyone knows not to shoot you. Remember that these guns are slower than other guns, if you've ever shot one, so keep that in mind when aiming. I'm going to be starting a fifteen minute alarm one the game starts. If no flag has been captured by then, the buzzer will go off. Drop everything where you are and put your hands up so I know you're not shooting anyone. Whoever is closer to the opposing team's flag will win. Got it?"

"Got it!" Bryce and I say at the same time. Milton nods and picks Fiona back up, who has abandoned her toy. She usually hates being held but I guess she doesn't mind so much now, considering she's about to nod off in Milton's hold.

Ryan and Caiden come out of the other room, Ryan already in his head gear and Caiden holding it in his hand. "I explained Caiden the rules," Ryan tells Milton.

"How many times have you done this?" Caiden asks Ryan.

"Yeah, I had no idea you came here," I add.

Ryan and Milton share a look before laughing. Caiden says, "Milton and I used to be on the same soccer team. After games his dad would always take me here. Now I'm a pro."

Milton rolls his eyes. "Yet I can still beat you."

"Shut up," Ryan rolls his eyes. "Look after Fiona, will you?"

Milton adjusts Fiona in his arms. "Of course."

"Alright," Ryan turns to Bryce and I. "How about this. You and I, Ellie, against Caiden and Bryce."

Bryce shrugs. "I mean, if you want to get your asses kicked."

x

Turns out, shooting a paintball gun is hard.

When Ryan and I had finally hidden our flag (it's covered by a couple of trees, but even in the night it's not hard to find) we set up in our positions behind trees. I don't see Bryce and Caiden on the other side but know it's because they're hiding too, waiting for the buzzer to go. We all got to practice our shooting before going out into the arena, and I have to admit, the gun has a real kick to it.

I'm still excited, though. I have to admit, this is one of the better ways I could be spending my Saturday night. If I beat Bryce however, it'll be even better.

My heart is beating against my chest in anticipation, waiting for the damned buzzer to just go. I know Milton is just building up my nerves, especially since I was ranting about how I was actually nervous before going into the arena. I'm so immersed in my thoughts about waiting for the buzzer to go that when the buzzer actually does go I'm startled. Ryan jumping out from behind his hiding spot springs me into action, though.