Critique Checklist

These checklist questions can be applied to the entire story for an overall critique

These checklist questions can be applied to the entire story for an overall critique. Likewise, they can be applied to each chapter for a more detailed critique.

Beginning, Middle and End

Does the first chapter have a strong opening?

Is the first sentence snappy and intriguing?

Do you get a sense of place and point of view within the first few paragraphs?

Does each chapter further the plot and stay on point?

Does each chapter close on a cliff hanger or ask a question that needs to be answered? 

Is the end of the story satisfying and related to the plot?

Conflict and Tension

Does the chapter contain conflict, either physical or emotional?

Is the conflict plausible?

Does the conflict appear to forward the plot or is it just thrown in for excitement?

If not conflict, is there tension within the chapter?

Setting

How well is the setting described? Does it draw you in?

Is there too much description or too little?

Does the setting fit the mood of the chapter and serve the plot?

Characterization

Are you finding each character to be distinct? If so, explain what you like. If not, explain who might share too many similarities.

Are the characters' backstories being continually developed?

Is the protagonist(s) clearly represented as the main driver of the plot? Are they exhibiting growth and change as the story progresses? What is the protagonist's role in the climax?

Are there too many characters in the chapter? Is it difficult to keep track of them?

Are the characters interesting? What makes them interesting or not interesting?

Are they plausible and behave according to their backstories? What makes them plausible or not plausible?

Is there too much or not enough description of the characters? Is the description shown from the eyes of other characters and not just "told" by the author to the reader?

Is there too much time spent on secondary characters without clear evidence of forwarding the plot or enriching the protagonist's story?

Dialogue

Does the dialogue sound realistic?

Does the dialogue appear to forward the plot?

Do the characters have unique ways of speaking to distinguish them? Does it fit their personality?

Is there too much dialogue? Is there not enough?

Point of View

Does the chapter stick to a single point of view? If so, does the voice remain consistent? Does the setting and mood fit the POV character?

If there are multiple points of view in the chapter, is there an easy and clear transition between characters?

Plot

Does the overall plot come across and continue through the chapters?

Are there subplots that work well with the main plot?

Is the setting and time frame consistent throughout?

Are the scenes strung together in a cohesive fashion? Do they forward the plot?

Is the plot interesting and engaging? Are the themes and issues relatable?

Showing vs Telling

Does the chapter do more telling than showing?

How many 'cheat' words are used? (saw, noticed, heard, felt, knew, realized, thought, believed, wondered, recognized, wished, seemed)

Voice

First, a few words about voice. Voice can relate to the author's voice or the character's voice. Author voice is the way the author narrates the story through the eyes of the character. Character voice is the way the character's behavior, thoughts, mannerisms, and dialogue are expressed in the story.

Does the voice of the author come through? Is it fresh and original? Or is it bland or forced?

Does the chapter have too many clichés or include overly complex words or sentences that don't fit the character, genre, theme, or target audience?

Pacing

Is the pace too slow? Does it make you want to skim? Why? Too much narration or dialogue? Has the storyline veered off topic?

Is the pace too fast? Are you looking for places where you can catch your breath and reflect?

Are you finding repetition, such as words the writer overuses? Or it could be that the emotional beats (revelations) of the MC are repeated in every chapter when this only needs to happen once or twice, max.

Sentence Variation

Are the passages rhythmic and easy to read?

Are there too many short sentences, making a thoughtful scene feel rushed?

Are there too many long sentences, slowing down the pace and action?