Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Embrace it

Embrace it.

Rosabell gripped her sweaty hands tightly around the steering wheel of her blue motorcarriage and accelerated into a parking slot in front of the Trylla Prophology Institution.

She turned off the engine and stepped onto the road, her green dress buffering in the wind. Rosabell seized the top of her green wide-brim hat before it could fly away.

The Prophology Institution was located in the Upper Mainland district of the city, a small building of two red-brick towers connected by an enclosed walkway joint on the third floor. Between the towers was an open garden courtyard on the other side of a fifteen-foot stone arch.

Rosabell's attention veered back to the motorcarriage as Achilles got out and joined her side.

"You sure this is a good idea?" she asked. "We're dealing with magic, not religion."

"You'd be surprised how often those intertwine. Dr. Blanche is a master of her craft. About a year ago, she investigated a strange spiritual occurrence in Kaleno. The case centred around a mysterious artifact from a bygone era," he said.

"Similar to ours?"

Achilles grabbed Rosabell's shoulder and gave her a comforting glance. "Let's find out."

"The last thing I need is an academic laughing at me," said Rosabell.

Achilles smiled. "Trust me, she won't."

Rosabell nodded and followed Achilles towards the institute.

Embrace it.

A woman stood under the stone arch, awaiting their arrival. She wore a grey trenchcoat buttoned down to her knees and red thigh-high boots. Her lavender hair, long and luscious, was pulled back in a long ponytail that trailed down her spine.

Rosabell met the woman's magenta eyes, enlarged behind two round glass lenses. Their bright glint gave her immediate comfort.

"Betty Blanche, nice to see you again," Achilles said, shaking the woman's hand.

"Likewise, Mr. Du Ponté. Thank you for coming to see me."

"We didn't know who else to turn to," Achilles said. "Rosabell's been troubled for the last few weeks. We need answers."

Betty turned to Rosabell. "If you are confident in your findings, then the artifact you are dealing with is far more dangerous than we can imagine."

"Can you free me of it?" Rosabell asked, her voice quiet.

"I can try, but for us to succeed, you must resist the power you've been promised."

"How do I do that?"

Betty grinned. "Walk with me."

Rosabell obeyed and followed Betty through the courtyard. Achilles remained close but trailed behind, granting them privacy.

Betty sighed. "The artifact's name is the Idol of The Black Countess, containing the spirit of one of four harbingers of death believed to be unleashed at the end of the world, an event categorized as the Apocalypse."

Rosabell frowned. "Why would this spirit choose me."

"I didn't," Betty said. "When you accessed the powers in the idol, it awakened. The only way to destroy..."

Embrace it.

Rosabell stopped abruptly and glanced around the courtyard.

You cannot run away from me, my child.

Rosabell tensed as the voice slithered through her mind. A woman suddenly materialized from the shadows under the arch, holding the stone idol of the Black Countess.

Rosabell's heart skipped a beat.

The shadow's eyes flared a bright orange, then it smiled wickedly.

You have the power to change the world.

"Rosabell."

Rosabell turned her head and locked eyes with Dr. Blanche.

"What do you see?" Betty asked.

Rosabell grew fearful, tears welling in her eyes. "The same thing I always see. When I lie awake or when I sleep. She's there. She's always with me."

Betty approached her cautiously.

Rosabell stood transfixed on the shadow. A clawed hand gestured the stone idol towards her.

Wind, fire, earth, air. Control of the elements is in your grasp. Master them all; then, nothing can stop you. Nothing can stop us.

"Get out of my head!" Rosabell yelled, pulling her hair as she closed her eyes.

"Rosabell, fight it!"

Betty put a hand on her shoulder.

Rosabell opened her eyes, the stone idol inches from her face. The shadow grinned maliciously behind it.

Take it.

Rosabell shook her head.

Take it!

"Get away from me!"

Rosabell shot her arms out as a sudden gust of air burst from her fingertips. Her eyes glowed a bright orange.

Betty screamed, her body thrown across the courtyard. She landed with a thud, gasping for air while lying dazed on the ground.

Rosabell exhaled and felt the power subside in her chest. Her eyes returned to normal, and she leaned forward, sweat dripping off her forehead. She looked around, the shadow gone from sight.

A distant cackle travelled through her ears momentarily, then disappeared.