Ep. 3.12 (R) - Hmm... Something's Up...

Headmaster Pierce is walking down the hallway of the Academy to his office when Master Liu spots him and calls out. "Alistair!"

He stops and waits for her to catch up to him. Even though the hallway is empty, she pulls him to the side, behind a pillar to give them an extra measure of privacy.

"Look, I know you wanted me to wait until Farid returned from the mission," she says with a sigh as she leans against the pillar. "But I need to get Fiona and Sebastian started on the live feeding program and the sooner the better. Ibrahim tells me they're getting tired far too easily and falling behind in their combat class."

Headmaster Pierce frowns, a look of concern clouding his elegant features. "I was hoping to talk to all of the students at the same time before you launched your program," he confesses. "I fear if we do this piecemeal, Ronnie, we increase the chances of fueling controversy and then this entire integrated school endeavor will just blow up in our faces. We need time for the idea of the program to settle in and for the students to become comfortable with it before we inform their parents..." He leans back against the wall. "You realize that when we launch this program, we'll be opening up a Pandora's Box of trouble."

"I do." Master Liu nods and then crosses her arms over her chest. "And you've just barely recovered from the last parent's meeting." They share a sympathetic smile before she continues. "But none of the Vampyr kids have fed live before, Alistair, and I could really use this time to at least get Sebastian and Fiona acclimated."

"I hate that I had to send Farid out into the field without its benefits," Headmaster Pierce admits.

"I know you do," Master Liu rests a gentle hand on his shoulder. "I appreciate the respect you've given to our custom. As far as sending Farid out early, you did what you had to do. Working with the other two, I'm sure he'll be fine."

A beat of silence passes before she catches Pierce's gaze. "Listen, you don't have to decide now, okay? But do give it some thought? Maybe we can connect again on it tomorrow?"

Headmaster Pierce nods and gives Master Liu the most confident smile he can muster. But the tremendous weight of what he's taken on with the school and what he's asking of the student is evident in every aspect of his posture.

*****

Farid and Aidan stand outside their tent, looking up and down the various footpaths that cut across the compound, trying to figure out how to make their way back to the Spirit House.

Aidan looks over at Farid. "How's your back?"

"Not bad." Farid smiles. "That poultice you put together? It really worked!" His smile widens. And while I've still got a few scars, overall, I'd say I'm in good shape."

"You know, I've never seen it work that fast before," Aidan says. "There must be something in your Vampyr blood that accelerates what the poultice can do." He shrugs and adds, "In any case, I'm glad to hear it." Then without thinking, he gives Farid a friendly pat on the back.

"Ow!" Farid winces as he raises his hands. "Not a hundred percent! I'm not a hundred percent healed, dude!"

"Oh, I'm sorry! Habit." Aidan grimaces.

"It's okay," Farid says reassuringly. Then, he sighs and turns his attention back to the paths again. He looks left, then right, then left again. He hooks his thumb to the left. "I'm pretty sure it's this way."

As the boys head off, Aidan stuffs his hands deep into his pockets and follows, falling a few steps behind Farid. He's unusually quiet, lost in thought. After a moment, he blurts out... "I don't think Patrick likes me very much."