⋆⋆☾[17]☾⋆⋆

Chapter 16 - A Truly Perfect Group of Friends

﹏﹏﹏

Austin - Saturday, 11:30 AM

The air is cold as Mia opens the front door. I see her gaze drift towards the window. I couldn't erase the scratches made with the knife, but I closed the shutters from the outside to avoid drawing attention to them. I squeeze her hand in mine, and we head towards my motorcycle parked on the opposite sidewalk. I help her get settled and fasten her helmet despite her protests that she can do it herself. I climb in front of her, and before starting the engine, I turn my head towards her. "Ready?" She tightens her arms around me. "If you are." I start the engine.

I have a knot in my stomach, even though I don't dare admit it. I know I have to do it, I have to question and suspect my best friends, but I'm not like Mia.

She has always been suspicious by nature, not trusting everyone and being rational, but these are my best friends. People I've known inside out since childhood. I don't dare admit it, but I think I'm mostly afraid of discovering that I don't know them as well as I thought. "What if someone is lying about their alibi?" Mia's question has haunted me since this morning. What if she's right? What if the culprit isn't Mr. Ward but one of us? I'm convinced otherwise, but as Mia says, all leads must be investigated.

Just for that, I have to do it, to eliminate them once and for all from the list of suspects.

The ride to the beach is rather short. As we pass through the streets, my gaze lingers on the posters of Cara plastered everywhere by Ethan and his group.

They're all still there and seem to catch the attention of the town residents. I feel Mia's hands gripping my t-shirt. I park in front of one of the restaurants around the beach and get off at the same time as Mia. She takes out her phone and looks around. "The girls shouldn't be long. I'll be able to see what's wrong with Anna."

"I'm going to Ethan's; the guys are already there. I'll keep you updated, okay?"

I'm surprised when she tiptoes and wraps her arms around my neck. "What are you doing, Mia?" I smile as I bring my face closer to hers. "Aren't you afraid someone will see us?"

"No, I don't care. What we have is serious, right?" My lips on hers answer her question. The kiss is gentle, and I feel her hands on my cheeks. She pulls away, and I take her hand in mine. She turns her gaze away, and her face takes on a surprised expression. Her mouth forms a silent "oh," and I turn around to see the girls standing a few meters in front of us. Allison has a big smile and applauds while Heather and Anna look at us with the same expression as Mia.

I turn back to Mia, smiling wide, and give her a kiss on the forehead before greeting the girls and leaving.

I arrive at Ethan's place about ten minutes later and walk in directly. I hear the guys in Ethan's room and join them. Jace and Ethan are engrossed in a video game, while Matt and Max are sitting next to them on their phones. "Hey guys," I greet them and sit on the edge of the bed. Ethan throws his controller at Max and turns to me. "How's Mia this morning? Any news?"