The Wrong One - 3

Chapter Three

Allison managed to enter her room without seeing her sister. Only God knows what will happen if she did.

Outside, the sky had already turned the shade of gray, indicating that it’ll rain soon. She hoped it would rain. The summer was unbelievably hot, and for once, Allison wanted to feel the coldness of the raindrops on her body, like she used to do with her dad when she was a girl.

Mark wanted to get Ely to come out too, once, but she had refused. Allison knew that right there and then Ely didn’t like her father much like Allison. Their father always tried his best to show both Allison and Ely a good time, but Ely would never budge. Until he finally just gave up, and that was when he was in his death bed. Allison admired her father, he was her hero. And memories of him made her happy and sad at the same time.

Without even realizing it, fresh tears had blurred her vision and a painful longing for her father grew in her chest. Allison could imagine his words. He used to tell her a story every time she cried. The stories were always different, but the point was the same.

Smile, not cry.

He would know what to do at a time like this. He would know how to deal with it and everything would go back to normal. But he wasn’t here, and Allison was alone. She had to deal with it alone.

***

It was a beautiful dream this time. Allison dreamed that she was cooking dinner. The smell pierced her nose and it smelled wonderful. The house was her dream home with a large kitchen and a homey looking living room.

Outside, Allison could hear shrieks of laughter and screams of joy. It sounded like there were three people.

The glass door opened and a blue eyed boy and a green eyed girl stepped in. they looked like Pax and…her. Then he stepped in. his clothes were dirty, but there was a smile on his face. All three of them were dirty, but Allison didn’t mind. They were all happy.

Waking up from the dream, made her feel like a failure. She wanted to stay in the dream where she and Pax were happy as a family. But it was only a dream and Allison would have to face reality that felt more like a nightmare, a nightmare that she couldn’t wake up from.

“So, are you really going to divorce Allison?” Lucia said, feeling the excitement bubble in her chest.

Pax had sat down and told her how Allison had changed. Lucia knew that Allison didn’t change, there was never an Allison in Pax’s married life, only Ely. Lucia felt angry at her daughter. How could Ely do such a thing to sabotage her own twin’s happiness?

“Yes, she wasn’t the one I was looking forward to spend the rest of my life with.” Pax said in a miserable tone.

Lucia nodded and gave his hand a motherly squeeze. “Do what you must.”

Pax looked surprised as his eyes widened as if he expected her to be angry for divorcing her daughter. “You’re not angry at me?”

Lucia shook her head. “From what I heard from you, Allison isn’t Allison.”

Lucia would have to tell Allison this. She’ll be happy to hear that nothing could stand between her and Pax again. Lucia wanted to tell the boy now, but it was up to Allison. Lucia wondered how Pax would react if he ever found out how he’d been married to the wrong woman for three months.

“I can’t believe you’re here!” Allison shrieked with joy.

Garret stood at the other side of the door, wearing regular everyday clothing, and a grin on his face. “I can’t believe I’m here too —”

“Ely, who’s at the door?”

Garret frowned as he looked at her with a confused look on his face. He mouthed: Ely?

Then his eyes set on the man behind Allison and his eyes widened. “Who are you?” Pax asked.

Garret smirked and held out his hand. “I’m Garret Wilfred. I’m a friend. You must be Pax.”

Pax shook his hand. There was something off about how he stood, talked, and looked at Garret. Allison knew that right now, Pax was in his ‘business mode’. Allison could see that he didn’t like Garret much.

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to have a chat with Ely.” Garret said, emphasizing on the name Ely.

***

“Where’s Allison?” Garret said. His voice sounded cold.

“Gare, it’s me.”

Garret seemed to relax and loosen his death grip on her arm. “Oh. So why did he call you Ely?”

“He thinks I’m Ely.” Allison muttered under her breath, but Garret heard it and rubbed his temples. “I can’t tell him.”

“But you have to.” Lucia came, joining their conversation. Her face was sad. “You love him, why don’t you tell him the truth, Allison?”

She was about to answer the question, but a voice spoke first. “You’re Allison?”

Pax stood at the bottom of the doorway. He eyed her suspiciously. Lucia and Garret took it as a sign that they should leave. Pax glared at them and then looked at Allison.

“Let me see your hand.”

“Pax—”

“Do it!”

Allison held out both of her hand and Pax took her right one. The one where her scar was. He checked her ring finger, until his eyes finally found the scar at the base of her ring finger. His eyes darkened with anger. “Why didn’t you tell me? You have no idea how much pain I’ve gone through thinking that you had changed. Why didn’t you tell me, Allison?”

“Because of Ely. I’m scared of her.”

“Why?”

“I thought that if I told you, she’ll do something to me, to you, maybe?” her voice quivered and she hated how defeated and hurt her voice sounded.

Pax nodded and took her hand in his. “Come with me.”