Chapter 3: Soccer Princess Daisy

Mario and Peach managed to escape the dance floor and a swarm of excited toads in every direction. Toad managed to get them to a secluded city overlook and stood guard for any interlopers. Neither spoke as they took in the festival and their people's joy around them.

"Ashamed Donkey Kong couldn't show up." Peach chuckled while Mario gave an exhausted laugh.

"Yeah, well, he's said he wasn't coming back until he took back his people's banana horde from the Kremling Krew. Ashamed Luigi, and I couldn't help him."

"You've been busy enough here with the remnants of Bowser's army. Besides, you know Donkey Kong, he's too proud to ask for help."

"Yeah, well, I hear his nephew Diddy snuck along. Crazy kid." Mario was careful but moved his hand closer to Peach's. "So, where do you think you'll expand the Mushroom Kingdom next? Iced Land, Giant Island, or the Pipe Maze?"

"I'm actually not sure. It's odd not having to worry about the Koopas anymore. Being able to think about the future." Peach moved her hand closer to Mario's. "What about you, Mario the Hero? What's your next big plan?" Peach leaned a little closer with eager anticipation but was shocked to see the Italian plumber's lost expression.

"That's the thing. I'm not really sure. All my life, I've had a goal or dream to reach for. Start my own business with Luigi, be our own men. Now we've got it. We're our own plumbers here in the Mushroom Kingdom, fighting the Koopas."

"There's still plenty of plumbing to do in our new towns." Peach chuckled with some reassurance, but Mario only smiled a little.

"True, but, uhh, I don't know."

"Aww come on, you can tell me." Peach nudged Mario with a playful shove which grew his smile.

"Alright, I guess I just wonder what I'll do without a goal. Not that you have to worry about that, Princess. For you, the sky is the limit!"

"I'm glad you think that, and your right. But the same is also true for you, Mario. When your brother and this Kingdom needed help, you stepped up without hesitation. Since then, you've proven yourself again and again and again. Do I even have to mention Wart?"

"Aww, Wart." Mario laughed and threw a dismissive hand. "He was nothing to Bowser. Big ugly frog. I could have beaten him in my sleep."

"There you go. Keep that passion lit, and you'll find what you're looking for. Wherever it may be."

"Woah." Toad's heart raced, and he watched in awe as Mario and Peach clasped their hands together. However, nothing prepared him for what came next as they moved their heads closer. "No way, no way, no-"

"Princess! Mario!" Both humans yelped and jumped upright as a group of toads raced toward them. Toad turned bright red and steamed up before he halted the interlopers.

"What!? What is it!? Do you know what you've just done!?" Toad loomed over his fellow toads who shrunk before him.

"Uhh, we just thought you should know there's another human in the city." Mario and Peach both went silent, then stared at each other.

Meanwhile, Daisy lost herself in the sea of color, wonder, and disbelief. She could not take in the little toad people who stared at her with almost as much.

"Woah, another human!"

"She's beautiful like Princess Peach!"

"Luigi, who is she!?"

"Uhhh, what are these things." Daisy squeezed Luigi's shoulder and hid behind him but did not notice his scarlet face or how his body shook.

"They're toads. They won't hurt you." Luigi assured Daisy, who peered closer as the little men and women came closer. Soon the athlete's fear transformed into delight when their cuteness.