CHAPTER FOUR

In three weeks, Penelope Hart will quit her job as the White House Social Secretary. Which means the president's son has three weeks to make his move. He's waited for years, and nothing will get in his way.

Penelope couldn't return to the White House in her velvet gown to pick up her car. No one should have to make the Walk of Shame on the same carpets Jacqueline Kennedy once traveled.

She couldn't take the chance that someone would see her slink back the morning after. And she definitely couldn't risk them seeing her get out of Kellan's car. Even with only a few weeks left in the administration, someone on the staff would rat her out in an instant if he thought it would earn him brownie points.

At the moment, she sat on the edge of Kellan's bed, wrapped in a bath towel. He was still in the bathroom shaving. She'd thought she could keep reality at bay until she returned to get her car, but it was starting to creep in.

She'd slept with Kellan. She'd broken the number one rule in Mrs. Ramsey's book. And if she was honest with herself, she didn't feel remotely guilty about it. She was a grown woman. In any other job, her supervisor wouldn't have a say or an interest in her personal life.

Kellan hadn't promised anything other than the night they'd spent together, but she wanted more. She just wanted it three weeks from now. After she got that recommendation letter and packed up her desk, she could do whatever she wanted. Of course, then she'd be on her way to Atlanta and her new job. And he'd be here. There never seemed to be a good time for the two of them.

She liked Kellan. She would have feelings for him if she allowed herself to go there. But she didn't dare take that risk. Last night had opened up a Pandora's box full of emotions that she wasn't ready to deal with yet. She'd locked that box up tight six years ago and hid it away on a shelf.

Now that it was open, what was she going to do?

"I don't think I have much in the way of clothes that would work for you." Kellan's voice echoed from the tiled bath and traveled into the bedroom. "Do you want me to run you by your place first to change, and then take you to your car?"

That was a good idea. If someone questioned why she'd left her car overnight, she could say she'd overindulged in champagne and called a cab. "Yes, please."

"Can I take you out to breakfast before we go back to the Big House?"

Penelope couldn't stifle the giggle his words drew out of her. In college, he'd always referred to the Pennsylvania Avenue mansion as the Big House. She'd forgotten about the nickname until that moment. Then the reality of his question sunk in and the smile faded from her face. "I don't know, Kellan."

He rounded the corner, his own towel wrapped low around his hips. His tanned skin was still moist from steam, his face slightly pink from a hot shave. He ran his fingers through the wet strands of his dark hair and planted his hands at his waist. He'd look unbelievably sexy if it weren't for the annoyed expression lining his face.

"Someone might see us together, right?"

Penelope sighed. "It's not two in the morning, Kellan. We're going to run into someone if we go out."

"So?"

"So..." her voice trailed off. "I'm not ready for the world to know what's going on. I don't even know what is going on. I'm leaving in a few weeks. It's not as though we're involved-"

Kellan crossed the room, taking Penelope's hand to pull her up from the bed and interrupt her train of thought. His arms wrapped protectively around her waist, pulling her against him.