The Dance

"I'm going to kill you."

"And then, you're going to thank me."

Lissette grumbled under her breath. "This is a terrible idea. Nobody likes desperate people. Except for maybe someone who's equally as desperate."

I ignored her. "Oh, come on. Somebody's going to come along. We've only just started."

And it was true; we had only been sitting at the booth for around a minute before Lissette had started complaining.

"Dating booth," a guy read. He smiled at me, his perfectly straight teeth sparkling. "Well, I could go for a date with someone as beautiful as you."

"I have a boyfriend."

"He doesn't have to know."

"Hey! You leave her alone!" Miami came trudging up the hallway, fists clenched.

"Woah. Easy there, bro. No need to get your titties in a twist."

Miami's face was quickly turning red. It would have been cute had it not been so scary.

"I said fuck off, Brent."

Brent smiled. "Why don't you make me?"

And that's when he charged.

It all happened so fast; the students crowding around, the teachers trying to break them apart. And all the while, Miami was trying so hard to punch Brent with all of his strength.

Before I even had the time to take it all in, it was over.

The halls were cleared, just like that. The teachers were telling random kids to get to class. All that was left was Lissette and I's dating booth.

"You're right," I mumbled. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

***

"Hey Lauren, where's your lover boy?"

"If I were you, I'd break up with him; wouldn't want him to hit you like that."

"I bet she wanted him to start a fight. It's every attention-whore's dream."

The heartless comments had been going around all day. Everytime I passed, a few snickers could be heard. It was embarrassing.

"Don't let them get to you." Lissette had her arm around me, and she was telling off anyone who came our way. It was amazing.

"I won't," I said, although they already were. I was using every ounce of my strength trying not to cry.

"Hey, Lauren." It was Margaret. "I uh, I heard about what happened to you- er, Miami- well you, yeah.  I mean, like, I hope you're okay and all." She stood very awkwardly next to us, her hand over the back of her neck.

I managed a laugh. "Thanks. I just wish people would drop it already."

"Yeah, me too. Well, I guess I'll see you later." She continued her way up the hall.

"What was that all about?" Lissette asked.

"What do you mean?"

She shrugged. "Nevermind. 'Snot important."

***

Afterschool, I met up with Lissette in the parking lot. She draped an arm around me for the thousandth time that day. "Are you sure you're okay?" She asked.

"Yes, I'm just as sure as I was the last time you asked me. And the time before that. And the one before that. And before that."

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, I get it."