Prologue

(Y/N): GRENADES! Is the last thing I hear before the explosion erupts. The force of the explosion was far greater than anything I'd ever felt before, meaning that they must've exploded somewhere near me. My eyes sting from the brightness of the explosion, and my skin burns under the heat as my body is flung backward by the shock wave of the eruption.

(Y/N): I must've flown shorter than someone could blink, but before my body hit the ground, my life had completely flashed before my eyes.

(Y/N): Growing up, I had a good life. I remembered getting teased at school by Lenard Harris and how that ended the day I'd had my first fistfight with him. He'd left me alone after losing his tooth.

(Y/N): My father and mother had fought and loved everything they had. Their marriage had been a roller coaster of events, with my brother and I being in the first row watching all along.

(Y/N): After graduating, I'd had my first kiss with Marie Smith at a party by the lake, only to have her shatter my heart when I saw her a week later kissing my best friend.

(Y/N): Back then, I'd sworn never to let a woman into my life again until I met sky, that is. I remember meeting her in Bob's Burgers during lunch.

(Y/N): As she came to take my order, I couldn't even speak as she entered my view. Her beauty was mesmerizing. I stared at her like an idiot before snapping out of it and ordering pancakes.

Sky: Pancakes? At 1 pm?

(Y/N):She'd giggled at me. The embarrassment I felt was evident, but I'd caught myself by saying

(Y/N): It's always the right time for pancakes.

(Y/N): If I'd make a list that would probably be in the top five most embarrassing moments of my life but after 6 years of being happily married to Evelyn and the birth of our pride and joy Conrad, it was definitely worth it.

(Y/N): It's been 4 years now since I've joined the army in "the Great War."Whoever came up with the 'great' part clearly wasn't a soldier or anyone who'd even seen this war.

(Y/N): I'm not going to lie it's a miracle that I'd lived this long. Not a single person who I'd met during the first year of the war was still around. Some had been sent home with disabilities but most of them had died.

(Y/N): Fighting in the frontlines, I'd often thought about why I was still alive. It wasn't skill or tactic. I was pretty sure it'd been nothing but luck.

(Y/N): I remember killing someone for the first time during this world war. It had been a shot at one of the snipers who'd been shooting down at us. My bullet hit his chest, and soon, his body slumped out of sight onto the roof he was previously standing on. I hadn't slept for days back then.

(Y/N): After a few more months, I'd lost count of all the lives I'd taken. It was them or us, and I had a family and a country to fight for.

(Y/N): Gore and pain had become normal to me. It'd been an everyday thing for years now. It scared me how seeing so many dead bodies after a shootout didn't matter to me. This war had broken me and now after 4 years of luck at my side, I'd finally pay my due for taking all those lives with this explosion probably ending me right here in the undergrounds of what's left of Berlin.

(Y/N): We were so close, too. So close to Hitler. So close to ending this dreaded war.

(Y/N): My body crashes onto the ground, and pain erupts all over my body. My head hits the stone floor of the cellars we'd been ambushed in.

(Y/N): My army troop had been camping and keeping watch in the remains of a large building in the corner of Berlin. Wanting to surprise further Nazis we'd snuck around in the underground of the building looking for a passage before finding an enemy troop in one of them. The shooting had begun, and that's where we are now.