0 | planet orlaith: the fall

Reks Arlen

Gems fell from the sky like dazzling stars crashing to Orlaith. It would have been a beautiful sight if it weren't for those gems being monsters.

Hundreds of them shot through the cosmea and smashed into the astral barrier. With each impact, ripples of energy surged across the planet-wrapped dome, sending waves of energy to clash into one another like a heavy rain on a deep pond.

It was supposed to be impossible. The archaic barrier withheld far greater attacks than this. But regardless of what he believed, the massive swarm of enemies ripped through and stormed the empire.

Hope and safety dissolved at the same terrifying rate.

The few soldiers in the vicinity fought desperately to hold off the invaders, spending their lives to buy a few more vital seconds for the bloodied citizens to get away.

By the time Reks and his squad arrived, countless lives were already lost. A blaze of rapid-fire worked on charring the lush sunset-hued forests into ash while the horde of crystalline monsters continued their savage rampage. The four of them separated in order to cover more ground — jumping through their gate-rings across the newly made battlegrounds.

Reks' legs pumped like pistons as he raced across scorch marks and deep gauges pockmarking the ground that had been civilian's homes only moments before.

His entire body burned with an adrenaline that demanded either fight or flight.

Explosive light reflected across the monsters' bodies, stinging his dark eyes as he joined the fight.

A cold, cruel intelligence burned behind the crystalline eyes of the Adamant Horde. But it did so in his eyes too.

Reks vaulted over a fallen tree, catching the sound of distant cries and panic through the burning forest while evacuation squads led surviving civilians to safety.

The distraction nearly turned fatal when a nearby explosion erupted, sending chunks of what used to be someone's home arcing through the air.

He protected his head with both arms as he suddenly went flying from the blast. He tucked and haphazardly rolled in front of an enemy combatant.

He got to a knee, ears ringing while looking up towards the nine-foot, blood-soaked monster a short distance away, which rapidly thinned as the beast charged.

Reks smiled. Did this overgrown rock construct think it to be a real monster? He was the one worth fearing. In this duel, on this planet, in this empire.

At the last possible second, Reks lunged out of the impact zone and thrust his hand out, facing the back of the monster. A powerful sensation moved down his bicep and through the tightly packed muscle of his forearm before launching out of his wrist like a loosed arrow.

The snake-like whip pierced the back of the monster's neck and shot directly through its mouth on the other side.

The strangely beautiful sound of shattering crystal reached him before the creature convulsed and fell to the crimsoned ground with a rigid thud.

"Shayd end you." Reks spat the curse down at the soulless husk as his Guide pulled back into his body, like a viper slithering back into its pit to patiently await its next victim under the guise of his skin.

His Guide needn't wait long, for the crystalline monsters before him were seemingly endless.

Using his gate ring he warped small distances, appearing behind enemies in order to perform a swift attack to one of the precious few weak spots deep within the backs of their necks. He did this over and over again, eventually losing body count along the way.