41: Allies

I debated it for a second. Scarlet on my side? She could be of a lot of help. She was possibly in contact with Blake and Amanda knowing she’s their family and all. But how much could she be trusted?

It made me feel uneasy; teaming up with Blake’s sister. It was a risk, and I wasn’t sure how many of those I could take. I didn’t have any bargaining chips, sadly.

I nodded at Scarlet, indicating that I was with her. I decided I’d take her with me and judge her accordingly. We got into her car, which wasn’t parked that far.

I began worrying the moment I got into the car. What if it was a ploy? I didn’t know for sure if she was on my side. In fact, I didn’t know anyone’s stance in this game of chess. To me, all the pieces were grey in colour.

“Stop the car,” I said after a short five minutes’ drive.

“Why? What’s wrong?” She asked innocently. Or feigning innocence, I couldn’t tell. What I was sure of, however, was that she didn’t stop the fucking car.

“Stop the damn car!” I yelled. She turned on the right blinker and moments later she parked by the side of the road.

I tugged at my hair, grabbing the mismatched strands with fistfuls. I was slightly tearing up. I didn’t know what to do. I had never felt so helpless. If Scarlet felt anything, she didn’t speak about it. She was silent for a good minute as I bumped my fist against the dashboard in front of me.

“You don’t trust me?” She finally asked.

“No, I fucking don’t,”

“I told you. He has my daughter,”

“You’re his sister,”

“If you think Blake and I have known siblinghood for the past few years then you’re very much mistaken. If you think I’m the same Scarlet then you’re definitely out of your wits,”

Truth is, I barely knew any Scarlet, old or new. I just knew her as Blake’s sister whom Aiden was screwing.

I didn’t reply. I wasn’t sure what to say.

“Look, trust me or not, I don’t care. But right now, I’m your only lead.” And she was right. She was the only one I knew would know anything.

Except… She wasn’t.

There was still dad.

“Take us to the Manor.” I choked out. She nodded, put the car back in gear, and drove there. We reached the main gate. She surprisingly knew the code to the gate, which added to my sense of insecurity.

We parked hastily and rushed to dad’s office, which was full of his men. They were all surprised as we barged in. He didn’t seem surprised with Scarlet as he was surprised with me. Like I was the one who lived in Canada and not her.

“Demetri, clear the room,” they all scurried out of the office upon his request.

I couldn’t believe I was going to ask for dad’s help, but I didn’t have much of a choice. I was limited with the chess pieces I had.

“I’m guessing you found out what happened,” he told me, “Scarlet, we’ll get your daughter back, my son too,” Scarlet seemed unfazed by the whole thing.

“I thought by being away from this I’d be left alone, and so would Ruby. But I guess not,”

It was comforting to see Scarlet and dad talking like they were actual family. It made me believe that Scarlet might actually be the rook on my side of the board.

“How are you feeling, my boy?” dad said. It was weird to hear it. I didn’t want to be babied by dad.

“You need to teach me how to shoot, and you need to do so now.” I commanded.

Dad didn't hesitate. He knew it was urgent and needed. So, he opened a drawer that had a security code and took a shaky breath.

A/N: Hi guys, how's it going? Expect another update by the end of the next week too. I'm trying to be consistent with 3 updates every month. The story is progressing smoothly thankfully so I hope you're enjoying it.

Thanks for reading and tell me what you think!

More soon x.