II

My mothers arms wrapped around me, her way of saying goodbye before the reaping. " Remember, Raven I love you even if I can't always show it." The peacekeeper aproaches us gesturing towards the slowly growing cue of fourteen year olds." Good luck and see you afterwards."

I move forwards worries wracking my mind. My sister Gabriella is 18, and her chances of getting reaped where at the highest they could be especially since she took out more tessarae than anyone else. I'm not  worried about the twins though. Its Maya and Finnick's first year and their names are only in once. There's hardly a chance they get picked. But Snow seems to think otherwise. My birthday is right in the middle of the games so since I haven't turned fifteen yet my names only in there nine times because of tesserae. Nine times in hundreds. I cross my fingers and look over to Gabby for reassurance. She nods at me and mouths ,"Good Luck" , My fingers fly to my necklace : my good luck. 

A door opens and before I can look up at the Justice Building; there she is Pamela Crane, the current Head Gamemakers youngest sister. She has little hearts all over her face and a wig bigger than my entire head in a lime green shade that made me flinch: the colours are clashing horribly. I can't decide what's worse the reaping itself or seeing what new craze has overcome the foolish woman. 

She greets us with an ecstatic, " Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour." before playing the dreary, " War terrible War," video. I roll my eyes as I zone out; why does this woman think that silly phrase would save anyone. For most its you go to the games: you die and its as simple as that. No one volunteers and our last victor was my mum 15 years ago so once your reaped, around here, you've been sentenced to death. No one has hope anymore. 

I look up suddenly to see Pamela Crane walk over to the girl's glass ball. I stiffen hoping my family is safe as she falls out a folded slip of paper and walks back to the microphone," The female tribute for district nine is," she clears her throat and looks out at us all before saying,

"Maya Heroux "

I hear her name but don't process it. I hear a scream from Finnick and my world comes crashing down. Snow was right. Maya's too young to go to the games she can't go. She's  still in a wheel chair from her recent illness. She would be dead before the games even started. I slowly come to my senses and see her moving through the crowd towards the stage. I start pushing through the crowd my breath becoming ragged as I push people apart to get to her in time. A few peacekeepers notice me but before they get to me I shout, " Wait!" Maya stops moving and as her eyes find mine realisation dawns on her; she knew what I was about to do.

"I volunteer as tribute"

I feel the atmosphere around me change, all of district nine going quiet except for the sobs coming from Maya. I walk to her slowly and she clutches on me as I say," Go. I'll see you soon ok?"

She nods knowing there's nothing she can say to change my mind. I turn around and shrug off the peacekeepers and walk straight up to the stage knowing my first impression means everything; sponsors, allies: everything. I walk up, a smirk on my face as Pamela Crane stutters rather confused before announcing, " Our first victor well done, dear," I almost laugh at the stupidity of it, she's congratulating me for volunteering to go to my death? Bit odd. "and what's your name?" She says tilting the mic my way.

" Raven, Raven Heroux ," I say without the slightest of stutters.

"And how old are you dear?"

"Almost fifteen," I say, looking directly at the camera just so everyone knows I'm not playing. 

" Splendid, splendid," giggles the petite woman. I raise an eyebrow and give her a look of concern and mild disgust, which she attempts and fails to ignore. " Now for the men." I cross my fingers behind my back, hoping against hope that it's not him because who would volunteer for my brother, hmm, exactly no one. 

"The male tribute for district nine is...." she draws out the suspense yet again,

" Luca Bishop"

Shit. 

                                                                        --------------------

Luca makes his way up to the stage slowly, and I stiffen and edge away slightly. Pamela holds out the mic and says," How old are you, dear?" 

"Sixteen." He says as he looks at the floor.

" Any volunteers for Luca?" Pamela says, and Luca's head snaps up as he stares out at the crowd, his eyes pleading with them to switch with him," How splendid. Now come on, you two shake hands." Pamela says expectantly.

I turn and meet his eyes. He looks petrified, but when I check my face on one of the big screens, it portrays only one thing: hatred. I hold out my hand and shake his hand for not even a second before dropping it and turning back to the crowd and smirking. Pamela obviously notices this and says rather hesitantly," How wonderful. Thank you, everyone, and Happy Hunger Games." As she says, this peacekeepers tap as lightly and steer us towards the entrance of the justice building.