Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It was early Monday morning, six AM to be precise, and the weather was colder than expected. Fall wasn't for another month yet, but it felt like it was closer somehow.

I got out of bed, making sure to make as little sound as possible, and threw on a pair of leggings and a long sleeved shirt, pulling on a jacket for extra warmth. It was the day of mine and Anna's enrolment interviews for school and I couldn't help but feel anxious about it.

I knew Anna's school principle was bound to ask me questions on why my mother wasn't the one attending the interview, but I also knew that I couldn't answer honestly. I also figured that bringing my fake ID was something that I had to do, considering I wasn't legally allowed to enrol her without being her legit guardian.

I also knew they would ask for her signature, like with most other things. So that's why I spent days a couple of years back trying to get my mother's scribble for a signature forged into an exact replica. It always seemed to work anyway, though sometimes with a little more trouble involved than others.

I walked across the hall to the bathroom and washed my face to freshen up, having had a shower last night. I put some makeup on to look a little older and professional, as well as to hide the now yellow and purple bruises, and tied my honey-blonde hair into a neat bun. Looking myself in the mirror, I decided that what I was wearing didn't look quite neat and responsible enough as I wanted to come across. I changed into a buttoned up shirt and a warm vanilla overcoat and looked at myself again, agreeing with the outfit with a small nod to myself.

I by-passed the rest of the time until seven, unpacking boxes and tidying up Anna's room, trying my best not to wake her until she needed to be waken. I then read until seven-thirty, reluctantly putting my book down when it was that time to wake Anna up. I didn't want to show any irresponsibility by being late for the interview.

I walked into her room and had a shock when I saw my mother looming over my sisters sleeping form.

"What are doing in here?" I whisper-yelled at her.

My mother glanced at me in surprise and took a step back away from Anna's bed, but she didn't speak. She never speaks. She shook her head and began walking the way towards the door, her shoulder brushing mine as she rushed by me.

What was she doing? I shook my head at the strange encounter and decided not to think too much into it for now. I gently shook Anna awake and she reluctantly got out of bed after a few annoying shakes from me.

It was eight before we both got into my new red second-hand Kia Rio, of which I had brought just a couple of days ago, spoiling myself a few hundred saved dollars through the years and buying my sweet Richelle, as Anna and I decided to call her.

"How do you feel about pulling in for breakfast?" I asked Anna, looking at her through the corner of my eye. "You pick the place."

I could see her tired expression lighten up into an energetic, warm smile.

"Yes please!" She clapped her hands together. "How about McDonalds? I've never had it for breakfast before."

"Hmm. McDonalds for breakfast?" I thought for a moment. Well, it was cheap. "I guess we can do that."

It took ten minutes to actually reach McDonalds through the piling traffic of Los Angeles. Being here for a couple of weeks now, I learnt that early morning was busier than most hours of the day. That, and the late afternoons. Considering the interview wasn't until nine-thirty, I supposed we had plenty of time to have a bite to eat.

It was a good treat for Anna anyway. We never really got to do this often. It was pretty obvious, considering she had never had McDonalds for breakfast in her life.