September 28th: Nikki Is Back

Nikki came back to school on Monday, and Chloe and Zoey were excited to see her.

"Nikki!" They yelled. "You're back!"  

"Hi Brandon! Hi Ava! I'm sorry I didn't help you with the project."

"It's okay," I smiled at her. "Did you finish your project yet?"

"Not yet, I think I'm going to turn it in late. How was the rest of your week Brandon?" She blushed. Brandon didn't.

"It was fine," He glared at her. "Ava and I had a really nice time together." Her friends looked confused, but Nikki started staring daggers at me.

"Ava, do you know what's up with Brandon?" Zoey asked me. "He's acting weird with Nikki. He's been in a bad mood for the last couple of days. You guys have been working on the project, did something happen?"

"I have no idea," I lied. "He was acting different on the day that Nikki got suspended. Maybe he suspects that Nikki wasn't framed and actually did what got her in trouble."

"He knows Nikki and knows she would not do that,"  Zoey mumbled. "Something different happened. By the way, did you ask Mackenzie if she framed Nikki?"

I forgot to tell them about that. "She said she didn't do it. But I don't know if she was lying or not." Nikki overheard me and walked over.

"Mackenzie would brag about doing that, so she definitely didn't do it," Nikki looked confused. "So who framed me?"

"How do we know you didn't do it?" Brandon asked her, completely serious. Chloe and Zoey gasped and started glaring at him. 

"Brandon!" Chloe hit his arm. "What is your deal with Nikki? You've been acting weird almost all week! You know Nikki would never do that, why are you asking?"

I gave Brandon a look to signal he shouldn't tell them the truth. They've all known me for a couple of days and Nikki for a year. It's obvious who they would side with.

"Sorry," He said. "Just with Nikki being suspended and some disappointing realizations, it's been a rough week." 

They looked confused. "Disappointing realizations?" Chloe asked.

"A girl I like actually likes someone else," Brandon winced. 

Nikki's eyes got wide and she glanced at me. This proved I was right, he doesn't like her(anymore).

I changed the subject. "Hey Brandon? So I remember you said you and your friends like the band PTSD, right?"

"Yeah," He said. "It sucks I can't afford a ticket considering they're doing a concert one hour away."

I smiled. "About that. I know your weeks been rough, so I begged my parents and got them to buy me four tickets! I can bring you guys!"

"OMG!" Chloe and Zoey squealed. Brandon gasped with excitement. 

"OMG! I've wanted to see PTSD live since I was like ten!" Nikki was close to crying.

"Oh, well I only have four tickets. And I've been chilling with the others all week. I barely know you. I'm so sorry, my parents couldn't afford more than four, so you aren't coming."

"Wait, you didn't get  a ticket for Nikki?" Zoey frowned.

"That's kind of insensitive to get tickets for everyone else. It's not fair for me to miss out just because you don't know me."

"Do I look like I'm made of money?" I asked. "I'm sorry Nikki, but this opportunity shouldn't be ripped from everyone else just because you can't have your way. Would you ask your parents to pay an extra hundred dollars for some kid you barely know?"

Everyone looked shocked from my response, eagerly waiting for Nikki to snap back. But she stayed silent with no rebuttal. There was an awkward tension in the air. The bell rang and we went to our next classes. 

I sat next to Nikki and Zoey during math and leaned over. "Was I too bitchy?" I asked. "I'm sorry, I feel bad for not buying a ticket. Your right, and you guys should get to experience it together. I'll ask my parents and see if they can afford an extra ticket. My parents might have to pick up some extra shifts, but you deserve a ticket after all the chaos you've been through this week."

Zoey looked at Nikki, waiting for her to say something.

"Thank you from apologizing," Nikki said through clenched teeth. "I would really like a ticket."

Zoey looked shocked. I could see her kick Nikki's leg under the table. Nikki looked confused.

"I just hope they yes," I sighed. "Mom's been struggling with rent recently, but she's been saving up the money for the concert. They were obviously upset to have to pay an extra three hundred dollars, but they might still agree."

Just as I hoped, Nikki didn't object to me asking my parents. Zoey seemed kind of pissed at her for the rest of class. I saw Brandon, Chloe, and Zoey talking by their lockers after class. Mine is a few lockers away from theirs, so I listened to their conversation. 

"And then Nikki didn't even say anything! Like hello? She just told you her parents are struggling financially! You don't ask someone struggling financially for a concert ticket!"

"Why can't Nikki just ask her parents for a ticket?" Chloe asked innocently.

"She just got caught vaping and trying to buy drugs," Brandon said. I noticed how he didn't add the word framed into his sentence, but no  one else did, probably including him. "They would never buy it for her. She'll have to sneak out."

"Nikki is usually so thoughtful. I know she's a big fan of PTSD, but that was so heartless of her!" Zoey seemed very upset.

I was about to walk over and say hi when Brandon started talking. "I'm surprised her parents are struggling. She has a nice house and a puppy." Shit. I was worried this would happen. 

"Hey," I said, walking over. "I couldn't help but overhear you. I understand the house is confusing, right?"

"Yes," Brandon agreed suspiciously. "It is. So what's the deal with it?"

"I don't like to talk about it but my parents are divorced. The house you went to was my mothers house. Neither are wealthy, my dad is just lower middle class and my mom is upper middle class." 

"Oh, I'm sorry," Brandon said. "From the way you talked, it sounded like your parents are together."

"Nope," I said. "But they both wanted to pay for half of the tickets. I wanted my mother to pay for most of it since she's more well off, but she refused. She and my dad hate each other."

"I know how it feels," Zoey put a hand on my shoulder. "My parents divorced a few years ago. They try to get along for my sake, but there's been times where I feel like they hate each other more than they love me. Sorry if I'm making it about myself, I just want you to know you're not alone."

"Thanks, that means a lot," I replied, and I was actually telling the truth. It made me feel like shit at the same time since I'm actively trying to ruin her friendship. I'm not used to feeling remorse. Nevertheless, I shook it off.

"I'll talk to Nikki by the way. I don't want you to ask your parents to pay more money. I'm shocked Nikki would even ask that of you," Zoey added.

"Thanks, but I feel bad. You all love the band, you should get to go together. I mean, the concert isn't for another few weeks, maybe my parents could buy the ticket and I'll pay them back! Nikki doesn't seem to like me, but I want a friendship with her!" I claimed. It was true, I just left out the temporary bit.

"I don't think she dislikes you," Chloe assured me, smiling.

"She's glared at me five times today and then pretended she wasn't, she got mad at me for not getting her a ticket, and made rude comments about my appearance. The comments thing was probably unintentional, but just putting it out there."

Chloe was about to say something when Nikki walked up to us. "Hey guys! Hey, Brandon, Chloe, and Zoey! Want to go to the cupcakery after school? Sorry Ava, we're not close enough yet for you to come with us.