23- Vulnerable

He dropped me off outside Lesley's apartment, I got out and was about to leave but he stopped me. In his presence, I feel alarmed mostly. Either my dilemma of facing his temptation or intimidation.

"Garnet, wait." He got out, coming after me.

"Yes, Sir?" I turned to him, he was standing too close. I scanned him from top to bottom in irk and maintained a fair distance from his tainted presence.

"At least not mine." He paused.

He brought his hand close to my face with that charming smile enhancing his features. I felt strange when he smiled. Even this smile felt wicked.

"But, I do have an important possession of yours- If you consider it one in the first place."

Perplexed, I tried to play safe and not fall into the trap he laid out for me. His sweetness rang onto the bells of a worse outcome. Not a good omen.

"What are you talking about?" I kept frowning.

Not being able to understand, like why is he trying to touch me in public and the fact that we are in 'public' is giving me courage that he will not do anything... bad.

"This." He took a step closer and took out the white rose and tugged it behind my ears again.

My eyes widened, I thought he threw it away but he kept it with him. I had no idea he held a bare minimum care for 'cherished possession'.

My lips parted as the people passing by gawk at us. Thinking we are a couple or something and I didn't want to raise rumors.

He traced his fingers on the side of my face tenderly, the fusion of my eyes unwillingly turned me oblivious of everything.

"Tell the person to leave a note next time. I guess the fact who gave it sometimes makes a difference. Who gave it changes its value too. You might begin to hate it either." He said gently but with a hint of sorrow, pulling his hand away.

"You know, it could be kind... or could be a ruthless piece of flesh."

My eyes went wide, not believing, among all people 'he' did it. My heart skipped a beat when I realized 'he' was the one who brought this white rose.

"Why?" I asked in a whisper, looking at his eyes.

There was a storm in his eyes hidden by something mystic happiness. He shrugged his shoulders and leaned on the bonnet of his car.

As if he wanted to ask for forgiveness but his ego refrained him so he decided to search different ways to release his talks.

"That's a very good question." He laughed and pointed his index finger sweetly at me and then closed his arms at his chest, releasing a long hum.

"Good. Indeed." He hummed for a long time.

I took a step towards him and asked distressfully, "What happened to you? Why are you acting like this? I am not someone who will be persuaded by your actions or words, tell me what are your intentions? I-"

He cut me off by putting his hand in the air to stop me. Breaking his frontage of gaiety to show the seriousness.

"The answer is simple, Ms Beth. Don't think too deeply or too much." He shifted and moved to me.

He tugged a strand of my hair behind my ear, looking at me with a hint of compassion and something heartbreaking at the same time.

What was with him?

He held my chin, staring deep into my eyes as I looked at him in anger and he whispered, "I saw myself in your eyes.."

He gritted his teeth and before I could speak further or share my repulsed perception; he hissed.

"Vulnerable and pathetic."

He pulled away. Observing me from top to bottom recalling how weak he felt like how he did when he needlessly yelled at me.

"And I detest those eyes from the bottom of my heart." He said truthfully, painfully. Indirectly he resented his own weak reflection because at least I know this is all fake.

The fact I knew what sorrow could swallow his kindness was repulsive and I want to ignore it.

"How cowardly of you, Mr Layne." I smirked looking at his eyes directly which evoked a deeply grieved expression to find me unaffected after speaking he probably hasn't told any woman before.

He was pathetic.

"What a trivial man. Can't bear your true nature? Why don't you accept that your façade brought you here? Because what are you without your beauty and manipulation?"

I don't know what made him like this and I honestly felt bad for him but I don't think someone shattered like him can cause me any significant scar.

How can a weak-hearted man like him take revenge? Unless a motherfucker helps him.

Holding my chin, I took a step closer, setting his tie, smirking constantly at his vulnerability.

"How would anyone react after knowing you accepted you and found yourself pathetic? From how many people you would run away from? First father, then my eyes-"

Growling, he grabbed my wrist to stop me from setting his tie, "Enough, Garnet." I seductively looked up into his aesthetic orbs before taking a step back.

I laughed scornfully and leaned in close to his face, challenging him with my unwavering gaze, speaking the reality, "Are you afraid to see the reflection of your own self."

"What do you know about me to make an assumption? You can create what image you want of mine in your brain, not that I care." He muttered, trying to neglect my words but I scoffed.

"But, can it alter what you have sculptured yourself into?" Oh, he didn't like that.

His smirk vanquished, replaced by seethe. He glared at me for two seconds, clearly displeased at my brutally honest remarks.

Exhaling, he replaced his rage behind his layer of enticement, closing the gap between us. A dark, sinful smirk reached his lips, wanting to do the worst to me but he didn't know what to do himself.

"I am looking forward to breaking this string of bravery of yours." He whispered seductively, licking his lips, looking with the same enticement how I did.

I opened my mouth to retort but Lesley called me,

"Garnet!" She ran to me, she had come back from her work. I instinctively took a step back, breaking our competitive link.

She came unaware of the fact that Mr Layne is here too. She was going to lose his mind after seeing the man she drools over again.

She said, "Why are you here? Let's go inside."

I turned my head to Mr Layne and so did she.

"Oh my God!" She gasped and took a step back unable to control her lust in his superior presence. Checking him out with a dropped jaw.

"Good E-Evening, Sir." Lesley stuttered, holding her dress. Closing her mouth to control herself.

He smiled beautifully at her as a blush rose to her cheeks at his one response. Lesley held my shoulders, nervous in his presence, entirely melted in it.

"Bye, Mr Layne." I said with venom hidden in my voice.

I removed your good for you.

He held his hand out for Lesley as she looked at me in uncertainty. I scoffed and looked away. She bashfully took his hand and he kissed the back of her palm,

"Evening, Lesley. See, fate allowed me to see you again." He said in his deep voice which stiffed Lesley as her eyes shine like her darkest dream has been fulfilled.

Before this revolting guy could blind my dear friend in his spell I said in a low growl, snapping my fingers to get his attention.

"Aren't you getting late, Mr Layne?"

He pulled away and smirked at me. He pointed at his ear, referring to the rose, "It suits you, or perhaps one should say; made for you." He complimented and finally left.