seven

“My House? What are you saying?”

            “I’m saying dear girl, that the Guides have created a House for you and that the people involved will all be known by you in some way.”

            “But I didn’t recognize any of the Cast’s names.”

            “My darling girl, didn’t you pick a new name? Once Poppy but now Mave? It is the same for all of us. We all have a new name.”

            “And you were a Contestant?”

            “Yes, we all were. If you lose and they like you, they keep you here as I am. If not, well then…you’ve seen the ones that die on your SAED.”

            “Yes, I’ve seen them. “

            “Well has it occurred to you that not all of them had to die? In fact, some of them might have been set up to die, much like yourself?”

            “Are you saying someone put me here? Who would do that? Who would condemn me to death? You’re talking crazy talk.”

            “Think dear girl: They’ve changed the rules of The Game just for you. They’ve hidden House Guests from you, have designed the Game around you, even gotten House Guests that are known to you. Can you think of no one who would wish you harm? I mean, you were brought in on the charge of reading books. Not such a big deal, really, seeing as you were going to be Called to be a Contestant shortly, anyway. They must want you very badly to bring you in this way. But they had help my dear.”

            “From who?”

            “Your mother.”

 “Do you remember me telling you that this seasons game, everyone would be involved together in the house as opposed to a Room?” Mave nodded. “Then remember this: everyone in the House is involved with you in some way. This is your House. The other House Guests are just window dressing.” 

             “I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing.”

            “Which is usually when things get figured out.”

            “This is my life we’re talking about here.” Mave said with a trace of impatience in her voice. “Can we at least be serious for a moment?”

            Augusta laughed. “Oh, darling girl. It’s not your life anymore. You belong to them.”