Chapter 3

POV: Elijah

I wake up early in the morning at about 5 am. I shower, floss and brush my teeth and all that good stuff. Then I get dressed and ready for then day. As I exit my bed room the most intoxicating scent hits me. It smells of passionfruit and banana flower. What is that or where is that coming from? Maybe its some kind of air freshener the omegas are using now. It does smell nice though.

I go down to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. Omegas are already working in there. I have them fix Lacey pancakes for breakfast this morning as her family's birthday tradition. The Wilders only do pancakes for special occasions such as birthdays and holidays. Jack linked me yesterday to make sure I did it for her so I am. Lacey will have her pancakes. She's eighteen years old today. That girl has been through a lot with Helen's death. Helen is her mother. Poor thing still can't be by herself during a storm.

I take a cupcake out the fridge and place it on a little saucer and add a single candle to it. She's leaving for my lake house today as she requested. I own the the lake house but my High rankings sometimes stay there. I don't mind as long as they respect it and don't trash it and ask before they just go. The omegas set a place of pancakes aside for Lacey and place one down for me. I eat my breakfast and drink my coffee. As I do so I check my emails on my phone but then suddenly that scent gets stronger. It's driving my crazy. "Mm what is that smell. Is someone baking cookies?" I hear Lacey say as she walks in behind me. "Nope just pancakes here." I tell her. I don't know why she smells cookies. "Ooh  pancakes." She says excitedly sitting down next to me. An omega sets her plate of pancakes in front of her with the cupcake. "Awe did you get me a cup cake? Thats very sweet of you Alpha." She say and suddenly I don't like her calling me Alpha like that. Why? She suppose to call me that. I grab a lighter going to light the candle when our gazes catch and I drop the lighter in my hand.

Nothing else exist but the two of us. Then I hear it the one word I have waited to hear in my mind for years, mate. My heart pounds in my chest. She's my mate. I finally found my mate, my fated mate. Wait a minute I start to come to my senses a little bit, Lacey is my mate? "Impossible." She whispers lowly. I sit back down next to her processing this. It can't be. Jack is going to kill me. Do you know how protective he is of her? He is very overly protective of her. We both seem to just sit there stuck in our own minds for a moment when a knock at the door pulls us out. "Uh I'll get that." I tell her getting up to answer the door. "Hello Alpha. Is Lacey ready?" Alana asks. "Uh She's eating breakfast right now. Come in." I turn around with her following me to the kitchen where we find Lacey. She hasn't touched her food. "Girl your just now eating come on. I swear you are always late. Hurry up and eat so we can go." Alana urges her. "Hey! I'm not always late and good morning to you too. It's not like it's my birthday or anything" Lacey says in her defense. "I'm just going to leave you two to talk." I tell them going to my bedroom. As much as I would like to stop her from going I can't. I did promise and it will give us some time to think of how we proceed from here.

Thirty minutes later a knock sounds at my door. I open the door to find a nervous looking Lacey. I can hear her heart pounding in her chest. She's fidgeting about. "I uh just came to say that we're leaving now so bye I guess." She says awkwardly. She just stands there like there is something else she wants to say. "OK. Is that it? Did you have something else you wanted to say?" I ask her. "I um. Where do we go from here. Are you going to reject me?" I growl. That is the one thing I am sure of. "No and please don't ever mention rejection again." I demand. She jumps back a little. Damn it. "I didn't mean to scare you im sorry. Look how about this you go on your birthday trip. Have fun and we will talk about it when you get back. Ok?" I suggest. I think that is the best and safest option right now. "Yeah that sounds good, I guess." A horn honks from outside. "Sorry Alana is very impatient." She says. "I can see that. Ok be safe, have fun and happy birthday Lacey." She gives me a small smile and leaves. I look out the window watching the car drive away.