17. Football

Twenty-four hours later, Mia found herself watching the school's football team. She didn't really know how she'd managed to get forced into it; football had never really been something she was interested in. Last year, one of Mia's friends was really into football. But since she didn't hang out with them anymore, Mia had thought for sure she wouldn't have to attend any more games. But just because she wasn't friends with Sharon anymore apparently didn't mean Mia was off the hook. She'd forgotten that Luke and his friends loved this stuff. Luke's friend Conner had an older brother on the team, and it looked like they went to show their support almost every game. And since Anna had started hanging out with Luke so much, she'd been going to a lot more games too.

Mia had been more than ready to stay home, until she realized that Luke's other friend – Zev – would be attending. And since she was secretly interested in Zev, it turned out to be a good place to go if she wanted to see him.

Mia, Anna, and Carmine had decided to meet up outside the gates. For once, Zev and his friends were already there. Apparently, they took their football games very seriously.

As they approached the boys, Mia's eyes naturally looked towards Zev. He was dressed as usual in blue jeans and his black jacket. When he saw Mia, he grinned in that self-assured way of his.

"How've you been?" he asked.

"Good. You?"

"Not bad."

She fell into step beside him as they headed for the stands. Mia wanted to know if Luke had told Zev about the banshee, but she knew she couldn't ask. She was really hoping the answer was no, and if she brought it up, it would obviously ruin everything. Instead, she looked over at Anna. Mia could tell by the look on her face that Anna was thinking the same thing. At least Anna would have a better chance of asking Luke. Mia would have to leave that task to her friend.

They sat down on the bleachers, Mia sandwiched between Carmine and Zev. Mia and her friends had been to games with Zev and Luke before, and even though she knew she wouldn't get much of a chance to talk to him while the game was actually going on, she was still secretly glad that she was able to sit next to Zev. Mia watched him out of the corner of her eye as he leaned forward, intently watching every play. Last year, Conner's brother had been a junior on the varsity team. Since this was his last year in high school, everyone was really hoping he'd get a scholarship. Mia had watched him a couple of times and figured he was good enough that he shouldn't have anything to worry about.

When halftime rolled around, they were winning twenty-four to six. Of course, this sent Zev, Luke, and Conner over the moon; even Mia had to admit she was pretty happy. Not only were the boys' moods infectious, but Mia realized she'd actually been enjoying the game so far. When she first started going to these football games, she'd thought they were pretty boring. But the more she watched, the more interested she got.

The ref blew his whistle, and the players left the field. Zev got up, stretching.

"I'm going to go down and grab a hamburger or something." he told the group. "Anybody want anything?"

"Sure. Why don't you grab me one too?" Luke said.

"Me too." Conner chimed in.

Anna shook her head, and Carmine asked if she could get a soda. Since they didn't want to lose their seats, everyone was planning on staying right where they were except for Zev.

"I'll go with you." Mia offered. Zev looked surprised for a minute before grinning.

"Ok. You can help me carry all this stuff." he told her.