chapter 8

Calum

The minute I walked in to the conference room, I sensed the vibes. I knew who were the "leaders" of the pack and who were the opposite. I studied the volunteers, and one stood out to me. She was the small girl who avoided any eye contact and looked anxious than ever with all the attendings standing around the table.

That was one thing I hated. People of authority, attendings for example, wanting to radiate their power. It's as if they wore it on their foreheads everywhere they went. I hated this hierarchy of authority. This "the higher you are, the more powerful you are". No. That's not it and it should never be it. People should feel comfortable and not intimidated wherever they are.

I was glad she was on my service. She seemed beyond fiddly and anxious and I just wanted to console her and tell her it's alright.

Why? Because once upon a time I was in her shoes. I know exactly how she feels and I can relate to her on so many levels. I remember the sheer anxiety I used to feel every time I had to do the same thing. If I can help someone overcome that- I will. That's what allowed me to be a better doctor.

I'm happy she opened up to me. I can support her the way I wished someone

Safiya
It was the end of the first day and we were heading home. I made my way to Sahar's office where of course I saw Rowan laying lazily on his couch.

"Hi peanut, how was your first day?" He asked me as he sat up and threw his phone on the couch.

"It was pretty great. I was on Dr. Hood's service today and he made me feel very comfortable. I'm glad I got to work with him first." I told him as I took a seat on the couch and rested my head on his shoulder.

Rowan nodded. "Dr. Hood is one of the best doctors. He's beyond caring and compassionate for his patients. He's a good guy." Ro said confidently.

I nodded in agreement. "He is."

"He's one of the best doctors at this hospital. I'm glad he's your attending because some of the others aren't as kind. Plus he's a family medicine doctor so he's used to working with all age groups" Sahar said.

Ro nodded in agreement. "Yeah, for sure. If anyone gives you problems, you come to us. Okay peanut?" I nodded and laughed out. "Yes my bodyguards"

They both nodded proudly "that's our job." Sahar laughed out.

"Let's head home guys." Sahar suggested as he packed up his backpack. "Ro you coming over to cook?" Sahar asked.

Rowan nodded. "Hell yeah, I can't have you burn your whole fuckin apartment down." he joked out.

The both started laughing. Sahar guided me out and locked his office. We then made our way to the elevator, Sahar behind us.

"I'm glad you had a good first day peanut" Sahar told me.

I nodded. "Yeah me too." with a small smile

And we were on our way home.