11. The Satan Pit Pt.2

The door had been broken down above then, the thick metal creating an earthquake like rattle above their heads and causing a ringing in their ears. It had come seconds after Mr Jefferson had replaced the grate and they had started to scuttle along the maintenance space on their hands and knees.

Zach's directions were clear but quiet and along with the sound of hands slapping metal and heaving breathing, it was hard to listen to his instruction alone. "Just go straight ahead. Keep going till I say so."

"Not your best angle, Danny." Rose quipped with a light smile.

"Oi, stop it." Danny shouted.

"I don't know, it could be worse." Toby spoke this time.

"Hey!" Sky frowned and had to hold herself back from giving him a swift kick in the face.

"Straight on until you find junction seven point one." Zach broke through their very weak and unneeded comic relief . "Keep breathing. I'm feeding you air. I've got you." They kept crawling and soon hit the closed hatch leading to 7.1.

"We're at seven point one, sir." Jefferson notified the captain.

"Okay, I've got you. I'm just aerating the next section." As they had to waited, Sky took the time to just focus on the Doctor's presence at the back of her mind for a moment. The feeling didn't calm her, it never did in situations of danger or panic. It was like holding hands. The warmth didn't help, not really, but it just made her feel like someone she knew was there, it made her feel like she wasn't alone in a tight box full of strangers.

'Theta?' She spoke, hoping for a reply even if it was brief. Little did she know that he was five miles down a pit.

'I'm here Lelia.' That was all she needed to hear. Placing her head back against the sheet of metal keeping her somewhat safe, she sighed deeply.

"Getting kind of cramped, sir. Can't you hurry up?" Danny requested from Zach.

"I'm working on half power, here." His voice came from the small device around both Danny and Jefferson's wrists.

"Stop complaining." Jefferson gasped, breathlessly.

"Mister Jefferson says stop complaining." Rose repeated to Danny.

"I heard."

"He heard."

"But the air's getting a bit thin." Toby almost whispered to the rest of the crew.

"He's complaining now." Rose rolled her eyes.

"I heard." Nodding, Jefferson watched down the vent for trouble.

"I'm just moving the air." Zach told them. "I've got to oxygenate the next section. Now, keep calm or it's going to feel worse." It already felt bad, how could it possibly feel worse?

Then a bang sounded, and they all felt worse..

"What was that?" Danny asked as the rest fell silent.

"Mister Jefferson, what was that?" Looking down the vent herself, Rose questioned the older man.

"What's that noise?" Toby asked for a third time.

"Captain, what was that?"

"The junction in Habitation Five's been opened. It must be the Ood." Zach told them, sending the crews heart rate beating that little bit faster. "They're in the tunnels!"

"Well, open the gate." Danny started to become impatient as the fear started to settle into him.

"I've got to get the air in!" The captain shouted, he was trying his best.