EPILOGUE

I sigh and take a sip of coffee, a slight buzz ringing in my ears. Adjusting the notebook, pen and cup on my desk, I glance at the clock and watch the red hand slowly tick towards twelve.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

The front door bursts open with a loud bang. I smile. She's never late- even after all these years.

I am almost tricked into believing nothing has changed, but then I see the dark circles and haunted look in her eyes and I realise that things have changed far more than I could ever have imagined. She sits in front of me and her companion, a man with tousled dark hair, takes the seat besides her.

"Hey Addy." I smile and tap the end of my pencil on the table. "I received your message."

"Good." She lets out a small sigh of relief as if my words is the best news she's received all week. "I thought writing it behind the flowerpot was a nice touch."

"It was." I agree and lean forwards. "So how are we doing this?"

The man's glare intensifies and he turns to Addy. "I don't trust her."

I arch a brow and clasp my fingers together, noting the similar jaw cut and same stubborn scowl. "You must be the twin. Addy's told me about you."

"Funny, she's never mentioned you."

"That's because she prefers to live the quiet life," Addy hastily interjects with a warning glance thrown at the man. "Don't irritate her or you'll find my knife sticking out of your throat."

"You'd turn on your brother that easily?"

"I will if you don't stop pissing us both off."

Carter scowls and flops back. He jerks his head up and I meet his icy gaze square on- it's not my first time dealing with egoistical men, and it would not be my last.

"My role is to record every word of the truth," I say in a prickly tone. "Addy filled me in on the basics about the Agency. Now it's your turn to fill in those gaps."

"And you're gonna write down everything in that tiny notebook? Ever heard of a computer?"

"Carter!" Addy hisses, hitting his arm. "Be nice. Blue is the only one who can spread our version of events- the real version- and have us believed."

"I will type everything up later and edit the main names to reserve privacy," I promise, flicking open the notebook on a crisp clean page. I click my pen. "So why don't you start from the beginning?"

Ada takes a deep breath and clenches her hands tightly together in her lap. "Even before my best friend tried to kill me, I was having a pretty rotten day..."

*******
End.
Book two will be out soon
I think