29.Engagement Ring of Andre's

"Hasten, Edith, urge Citizen Saint-Clemont to flee!"Lucile Desmoulins grasped the young girl's hand, her face pale

"Hasten, Edith, urge Citizen Saint-Clemont to flee!"Lucile Desmoulins grasped the young girl's hand, her face pale. "Georges' friend came tonight to warn him, they are about to strike against him! And I fear for my Camille too!"

"What?" Edith stared at Lucile blankly, completely caught off guard by the swiftness of this day's arrival. "But that's impossible, isn't it? How could they arrest a generally accepted patriot?"

"Georges doesn't believe it either, or rather, he refuses to believe. He always believed that they wouldn't dare to do so." Lucile shook her head dolorously."He's too overweening, convinced that even if he stood before the Tribunal, his eloquence and reputation would save him."

"Isn't it true, though? If even a valiant hero of the Revolution like Citizen Danton is to be condemned, wouldn't the people lose all trust in the Republic?"Edith asked, her voice tinged with nervousness.

"No, it's precisely because the people hold him in such high esteem that the executioners fear him even more. They only desire his life now, heedless of anything else!" Lucile's expression grew more pained, unconsciously squeezing Edith's hands until they hurt.

"Then let Citizen Danton and Desmoulins seek refuge in other places, Lucile!" Edith leaned towards her, imploringly.

"Georges would never choose to flee. He said, 'Flee! Can one take your homeland with you on the soles of your shoes?' Those were his exact words! Camille stands by his side through thick and thin; they are determined not to desert!"

Beautiful Lucile trembled all over as she embraced her young friend's waist. "Everything is unfolding just as I feared! Their lives hang in the balance! The revolution is doomed!"

Edith patted Lucile's shoulder, trying her best to console her. "At least Citizen Desmoulins shares a camaraderie with Robespierre in the Committee of Public Safety, doesn't he? Isn't that reassuring, dear Lucile?"

"Yes, camaraderie! But in times of such chaos, friendship is unreliable! Maximilien has been blinded by the slanderous words of the rats within the Committees! Yet perhaps he will remember the old ties that bind; there may still be hope for Camille's life!" Lucile became somewhat gibbering. "Ah, why can't I be in the Convention? Why can't we be in the Convention? If it is a right solely assigned to men by nature, why let me see everything so clearly? If we are granted such wisdom, why not grant us the same liberty? Ah, if only I were an illiterate countrywoman! No, why am I saying these things? Now my Camille can only rely on me, can't he?"

Suddenly, she released Edith, took a deep breath, and calmly and swiftly gave her instructions. "But Citizen Saint-Clemont must leave. His past noble status magnifies his present danger; he hasn't associated with Georges and them for long, he should not be implicated! You must make him go, make him leave quickly, Edith!"

"Is it really... to this extent?" Edith murmured to herself.

"Do not waste lives! Urge him to flee, hurry, to Caen, to Toulon, wherever!" Lucile firmly looked into the girl's eyes.