Chapter 3

This Means War

The morning sun shines its light into the medium-sized bedroom through the clear windows and the figures of two men sleeping on a squashy mattress become visible. One of them is a handsome man with shoulder-length hair, the other one is a man with a smaller build and light skin. The latter squirms uncomfortably, probably because he isn't used to having a heavy arm laid across his tummy.

"Momma, it's hot. Turn up the air-con."

Too much intimacy makes the heat accumulate in the space underneath the blanket. Rain keeps his eyes closed as he murmurs a complaint, turns his body, and reaches for his favorite side pillow.

Why is my side pillow feeling kinda hard today? But, whatever. I'm too sleepy to think it through. Last night was such a mess...

*whoosh*

"!!!"

Have you ever been in a situation where you wanted to shout your lungs out but no voice is coming?

That's where Warren is when he wakes up to the shocking sight.

How could he not be shocked?

He remembers he was curling up, hugging a pillow on the couch last night and casting curses at his recently-made foe. How come he woke up so closely to him like this? Their faces are probably just an inch away from each other. Rain's eyes widen and his breathing isn't right. He holds his breath until his face turns red.

How the hell did I get here?!

Rain yells the question in his mind and transforms himself into a rock. He doesn't dare make another movement in fear of waking up the anaconda. His brain is running at a thousand miles per second but probably in circles of nothingness. He really can't figure how he got up on the bed and into this sociopathic brother's arms.

No, no, no, no. That's not the first thing I wanted to know. What I need to know most is... Have we...?

Warren shuts his eyes tightly and slowly lifts up one side of the blanket. It takes him some minutes before he can have his courage built up and finally open one eye, hopefully he won't see a sleeping giant serpent down there.

Only the drunk gets laid and gets up with strangers, they said. But I haven't had any sip of those amber drinks, and I hereby give my words that if I made it out of here safely, I'll keep myself away from those intoxicating stuff for good from this point onward!

Rain sets his goal and opens his eyes.

"Phew... Still safe and sound."

With a relief, he exhales a breath that he was holding for almost a minute and puts his hand on his chest. Every piece of clothes is still on his body, as well as the bastard who's laying his arm on his torso.

Phayu chuckles.

*gasp*

Rain holds his breath and turns into a stone again when he hears someone laughing near his head, and he doesn't need to be told who that someone is.

There are only two human beings in this room. Otherwise, it's gonna be that ex-human from that alley, perhaps? Damn it!

"How can you be sure?"

*thud!*

Phayu's question is like a cure that de-petrifies Rain. He comes back to consciousness, pushes hard at Phayu's chest, and darts an outrageous glare. However, what he gets in return is an impish glare and a contented smirk, so contrary to Rain's feelings.