5 - Welcome to the Rebellion

'Oh come on Ben, would it kill you to smile?' Quinlan clapped him on the shoulder.

Cody chuckled beside him, 'Maybe.'

Quinlan took a swig of his drink, some vile concoction that sent Obi-Wan's head spinning the first time he tried it.

There's not much to smile about these days, Obi-Wan thought glumly as he looked around the run-down cantina they were sitting in.

It was a small planet in the Outer Rim, Doldur. Obi-Wan's search for other Jedi had led him all over the galaxy, to some planets he had never visited before and others he had. Those were always the worst, trying to focus on his mission while his mind bombarded him with memories. Sometimes of Qui-Gon, sometimes Satine, and worst of all, Anakin.

Would there ever be a day where thinking about his former Padawan did not cut like a knife through his heart?

As he sat with Quinlan and Cody, he watched their two targets sitting at a small booth across the way. The boy was about 20 now, and he had dyed his flame red hair a darker shade of brown. The woman across from him was Cere, one of the many Jedi knights who had served around the galaxy. Obi-Wan did not know her well, but from what Quinlan had told him, she had tried working to restore the Jedi.

Perhaps she could lead them to more Jedi survivors?

'I say we make our move,' Quinlan studied her, all humour gone from his eyes. 'We need to keep moving, we've already spent enough time on this planet. If you're right about those Investigators–'

'Inquisitors,' Cody corrected.

'Then we can't stay long,' Quinlan continued. Obi-Wan was so grateful to have found Quinlan so soon. Or rather, to have had Quinlan find him. Renowned for his tracking ability, he had been the one to surprise Obi-Wan and Cody in their small camp on Onderon. Since then, they had hopped from planet to planet, searching for any surviving Jedi or Force sensitive children.

Thus far, they had already recovered five Force sensitives, and two former Jedi. Shadday Potkin, a former Jedi Master sat closer to their targets, while Caleb Dume had been returned to Padmé's ship. He had been in bad shape when they found him, so they had sent him to Master's Plo and Velaya for help.

It tore at him, seeing the former Padawan drunken and angry as he picked fight after fight in that small tavern.

Perhaps it was the reason Obi-Wan hadn't been sleeping well lately. He rubbed at his eyes, feeling the bags there. No, in truth, he wasn't sleeping because of the nightmares. Or perhaps they were visions, of a day when Obi-Wan had failed Anakin for the last time.

He dreamed of his former Padawan in agony. Anakin screamed and cried and begged for his help. Yet, Obi-Wan couldn't move, couldn't speak, couldn't breathe. Instead, he watched as the world around them crumbled and burned before his own screams finally woke him. What kind of torment had Anakin suffered? Why hadn't Obi-Wan been there to help? 

'Alright,' Obi-Wan stood, looking to Cody, 'Call Ahsoka and Plo, tell them we'll be ready for pickup soon.'

With that, Obi-Wan made his way over to their table, slowly and as un-threateningly as he could manage. When he got closer, he heard their conversation stop, and he pulled down the mask that covered his nose and mouth, 'Hello there.'

'Hi,' the boy nodded politely, while Cere's face flickered with recognition.

'Are you...'

'Obi-Wan?' he finished, trying for a conspiratorial smile. 'And you're Cere.'

'Yes,' she looked so excited for a moment, and then a shadow crossed her faces, her fingers twitching for the hidden lightsaber. 'How did you...'

'We don't have much time,' Obi-Wan said, doing his best to pour his sincerity out through the Force towards them. 'I'm with the Rebellion. We're looking for any other survivors, and Quinlan led us to you. Both of you.' He looked to the boy.