Dear Beaten Youth

"As you may have gathered," Mr. Carson addressed the table. Teddy, who had been hiding a book in his lap to read while he ate, glanced up at the man, "The family will be away for three days next week. So if any of you feel you are owed some time off, perhaps you could take it then. Uh, but clear it with me first."

     As if Teddy would be getting time for himself. Dr. Clarkson had been kind enough to lessen his hours at the hospital, with his end-of-year exams approaching on the eighteenth, but studying still took up the majority of his time. 

     As people moved around the table, Teddy turned back to his book, eyes scanning the ideas of genetic processes that his penmanship had written out.

     He paid little attention to the news of Mrs. Patmore's guest house, though he looked up again as Thomas spoke.

     "Everyone has something to do on their free days. Except me."

     "We know what you've got to do, Mr. Barrow," Mr. Carson replied. 

    Theodore glared at the butler from his place at the table. The man was like helicase, coming in and breaking through people.

     "Yes, Mr. Carson." 

     Theodore had always been keen on helping others. Helping Abi when her family upset her. Helping Everett when his love felt too hard to handle. Helping Percy when he thought he had made the greatest mistake of his life. Helping his dad when Carson was being a- well, he better not use the word he was thinking. He wanted to be a healer, and that was what he did. He aimed to heal those around him of any wounds, physical or otherwise.

     But, the fact was, being able to heal others did not guarantee that you could easily heal yourself. Not when it was harder to see the signs; when you were reaching your breaking point before you had even noticed you were going there.

     It was Katherine who had started him on the path. He had barely seen her ever since her betrayal. Somehow, today, she had appeared, and for the first time, Teddy felt a need to talk to her.

     "What did you do with the money?" He asked, approaching Katherine on the street. They had been walking toward each other, Teddy to the Wilsons' farm and Katherine likely to one of the shops he had just passed. She frowned.

     "I'm sorry?"

     "The money that my dear Uncle Sydney gave you. I assume it was a generous sum."

     Katherine stared at Teddy for a moment, sticking out her chin. 

     "I went to Paris."

     "Paris?" Teddy repeated. "My my, no wonder I hadn't been seeing you around. Why Paris?" Katherine crossed her arms, an action that came across as awkward with the basket resting in the crook of her elbow.

     "I hardly see how my going-abouts are any of your business."

     "I hardly see why my family is any of yours, yet here we are," Teddy was quick to respond. Katherine bit down on her lip. 

     "I cared about you, Katherine," Teddy said. He wondered, deep down, if this was how his mother would have handled the situation. He would never get to know. "I cared about you a lot. I considered you to be a good friend. Was there ever a time when you would have said the same about me? Because good friends don't do what you did."

    "Theodore-"

     "No. I would never help someone blackmail my friend. Don't you see, Katherine? Can't you understand how wrong it was for you to do it? What happened in your head to make you think that it was okay?"