28. Washfall

M'yu threw open the door, used his lockpicks to secure it behind them, and gestured Aevryn along. They snuck through the halls as M'yu blocked cameras and checked routes with an eerie sense of deja vu.

The abandoned sector of the Prav'sudja was closer this time, and all the guards swarming the courtroom left fewer for them to dodge. Still, the balcony door burned a hole in the back of his mind. It was a small entry, but if the Tsaright heard about the commotion and made it back to the throne before they did—

He would have complete control.

M'yu doubled his pace, and they burst into the bridge's antechamber. M'yu tapped out the unlock, and Peitros's face sprang to life, asking them to identify themselves. M'yu jerked his chin at Aevryn.

The man stepped forward. "Prince Aevryn z'Daras, rightful heir of the Tsar."

A light flared out, running over Aevryn's body, and M'yu jumped back. That hadn't happened last time. M'yu's fist clenched. Rot. Last time, the AI had warned M'yu about being denied access if he were charged guilty. What if that was some sort of camera, some security system to alert the guards to collect their escaped convict?

M'yu moved to drag Aevryn back to safety when it clicked off. "The ship recognizes you, Prince Aevryn z'Daras."

The door hissed open, and M'yu just stared. Aevryn strode through, and M'yu hurried to catch up. "Wait. It let you..." The door clicked shut, and M'yu's eyes widened. "The trial isn't in the system. Because the Tsaright didn't use the AI. Your Right to Stand's not in the system."

Aevryn didn't answer, frozen in the middle of the bridge. He panned over the windows, the blinking consoles. His voice dropped to a murmur. "Peitros spoke about this place, but I'd always thought something had happened to it—destroyed, remodeled. To think, all this time..."

"This is the seat," he said, taking Aevryn's wrist and pulling him to the master console.

While Aevryn worked at the screen, M'yu kept an eye on his linkcard map. The paths out of the area were still clear, but that didn't ease the nerves running up and down his spine. He had barely fit through the vents; there was no way Aevryn would. If they got trapped here again—

M'yu swallowed and kept watch.

"Throne permissions updated, Prince Aevryn," the AI said. "The throne control now recognizes you, although deference will still be given to Tsaright Xten, in accordance with the results of the last Washfall Trial."

The holodisplay disappeared, and so did they, running back in double-time. On M'yu's screen, the halls shone thicker with guards now. They all poured toward the courtroom. "We're not going to hit a clear spot," he said to Aevryn.

"Then take us the least crowded way," the prince panted.

M'yu swerved down another hallway, twining through the path that only held one stray guard. He signaled to Aevryn, then stopped at the corner and peered around.

He froze. Red hair knitted with jewels streamed down Karsya's back, and her blood-red dress tied her up with a stiff bow. His jaw clenched, and his hands went slack, buzzing with a strange, helpless, red-hot energy.

The linkcard tumbled from his fingers. It hit the ground with a slap, and Karsya twisted. Her eyes widened, lips parting.

She reached for a jeweled dagger at her waist, and M'yu stepped out to the hallway in full. "Don't you dare," he bit out.

"Why?" The blade sang free of its sheath. "Scared I'll stab you in the back, like you did me?"

M'yu's face contorted, muscles bunching, head shaking.