01

After reading the text message from her boyfriend, Delight instantly took a look back in search of any sight of him. There was none. From his text, he made mention of his seating in the back compared to where she sat in the first row beside her older sister. She had been expecting his arrival since the onset of the church service.

"I'll be back." She whispered into the ear of her sister and without waiting for a word from her, she was on her feet. Her mermaid styled Ankara dress could cause her to trip so she held some of it up to ease her walking. Delight's steps were fast as she walked down the corner straight for the back, eager to not be the cause of distraction from the sermon presently going on. It took everything in her not to draw to a surprising halt the moment she caught sight of a familiar face among the congregation. Their eyes met and Delight was first to look away. Confusing questions blurred her thoughts and she felt like running right back to her sister to tell her of the woman's presence. But, she couldn't. It would be obvious and her boyfriend was already in sight.

There, he sat on the bench in the third to the last row. As usual, he was simple and looked handsome in navy blue traditional wear. She smiled at him, unable to stop herself from the joy of seeing his face. Her boyfriend, Andrew's smile back was brief and simple. In the end, she took her seat beside him and for a minute, they sat in silence.

"You're late." Finally, Delight broke the silence and whispered to him.

"Sorry, I missed my way."

She turned her head to him and he did the same. When he didn't expect it, she slid her left hand around his right hand and locked arms with him. "That's why I opted to sleep over at your place last night but you refused. It's my sister's child dedication and it would be nice for you to show your support."

For what seemed like more than a minute, he stared at her and she didn't shy away either. Their gaze was hard to decipher.

"I am showing my support." Andrew added and there was a subtle hint of irritation in his slightly deep voice.

Delight might've picked up on it because she looked away. "It's fine. I was just saying."

She rubbed the back of his palm with her other hand and smiled as she returned her gaze to him. "I'm glad you're here and that's all that matters." It took Andrew a moment but he reciprocated her smile with a subtle one of his before looking ahead.

Suddenly, Delight remembered the face she'd seen and annoyance filled her.

"I can't believe she came."

Andrew looked at her, his way of giving her his attention and she was glad for it.

"My sister's husband's ex-wife is here and I can't wrap my head around what her mission could be."

In his head, he repeated her words to understand what she just said.

"Would you be here if you were her?" Delight randomly threw the question at him. Andrew wasn't sure what this was about but he had to come up with an answer.

"I guess no."

"Exactly. I mean, unless you want to make trouble then..." She shook her head and it was somewhat obvious from her facial expression that she was battling with her own thoughts and unpleasant answers. "It doesn't matter. I'm not going to allow her to spoil this day for my sister." Her smile for him was back and wider this time. "This is why I'm glad you're here." Delight held on a little tighter and fonder than before.

Delight returned to her seat beside her sister, she whispered to her about the undelightful presence of the woman. Maria's expression turned sour right away and could not stop herself from looking back. About five to six rows away from them, her eyes fell on Ijeawele's face. Their eyes met and Maria was first to look away. Her eyes lurked left and right in irritation. She leaned closer to her husband and whispered to him.