Chapter Sixteen: The Others pt. 4

SAM, JUNE & PENNY

"June,"

Despite hearing her name, she doesn't wake up.

"June, wake up,"

June groans as her eyes slowly open and her mind comes back to reality.

"What?" she whines.

"Wake up. Something's wrong."

She wearily looks up at the figure above her. Sam.

"What is it?" June asks, stretching out her body.

"I heard gunshots," Penny answers from across the room.

June freezes. Her heart stops for a slight moment at Penny's words.

"W-what?"

"We don't know where they came from, but they can't be a good thing," Sam says, getting up from crouching down in front of June.

June gets up and looks at Sam with fear in her eyes. Sam's face is overcome with that same fear. They both look over at Penny who's in front of the door, looking down at something.

"We were moved to a different room," Sam whispers to June.

Her eyebrows raise in surprise as she checks her surroundings. It was in fact a different room. It's slightly bigger, the carpet is different, and the door is metal instead of wood. Both Sam and June approach Penny and see what she's looking at. A keypad above the door handle.

"We need a code," She mumbles.

June is in disbelief. When had they been moved? Was it last night when they all went back to sleep? Was it before that while they were sleeping before they woke up in the middle of the night? Maybe they just didn't notice. As if she could read her thoughts, Penny turns and answers June's questions.

"It was in the morning. We were all asleep, but I was starting to wake up when I caught a glimpse of a man leaving the room. They used gas after we went back to sleep keep us out." Penny states.

June sighs.

"Well, now what?" June asks, looking back at Sam.

"We need to figure out what this code is. Look around the room. See if you can find anything," he replies assertively.

Just like the last room, this room doesn't have any furniture, so if there is something in here, it shouldn't be too hard to find. Penny then spots something on the ceiling.

"Guys, look," she says to them, pointing at a small piece of paper taped onto the ceiling.

It's folded and looks pretty stuck down.

"How do we get it down?" June asks.

"Isn't it obvious? We climb on top of each other," Sam answers.

Both girls look at him in surprise.

"What? You got any better ideas?"

Penny and June look at each other. It's the only way. After some discussion, they concluded that Sam and Penny would be at the bottom while June tried to grab the paper. They get into position, both Penny and Sam holding their hands out for June. She places her foot into their palm and they lift her up. Her fingers are inches away from the sheet before she feels herself falling. She lets out a short yelp before preparing herself for impact.

All three of them fall to the floor with a grunt.

"Shit," June mutters, trying to lift herself off of the ground before realizing where she landed.